Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

My mind began to wander as I stared at the clock. Justin is running a little late. He's not used to getting up for school since he had two weeks off. I jerked in the kitchen chair after hearing something fall and Justin cursing. I looked over my shoulder to see what it was but he came out of the bedroom and quickly shut the door. The first thing I noticed was the slight bruise on the side of his face. There is no bruise on my face but it is sore.

Justin placed his bag down on the kitchen table and poured himself a glass of milk. He hasn't said one word to me since last night. It's been like this the whole morning. It's like he's ashamed of saying anything to me. He thinks it's his fault for dad telling me to get out of the house and I feel like it's my fault. If we both feel guilty about ourselves, who do we blame?

Justin turned around to me and held the jug of milk out wondering if I wanted any. I shook my head and he put the milk back into the fridge. He can't even ask if I want any milk. I want to hear my brother's voice, not let him use hand gestures.

"Aren't you going to say anything to me?" I asked.

He drank his glass of milk and placed it in the sink. "What's there to say?" He asked not turning around to me.

I shrugged. "I don't know." I whispered. "Are you upset?"

Justin paused. "Yeah, but that's nothing new." He turned around and grabbed his bag. "Let's go." He said and headed out the door.

I sighed and grabbed my bag as well. I shut the door behind me as I ran outside. I got into the car and stayed silent until we got to school. My mind kept repeating yesterday's events. I don't want to remember it, yet my mind brings it up again. Today is a new day; let's hope this one is better than the rest.

When we reached school Justin kept quiet. We got out of the car and he went his separate way from me. Someone poked me in the back and I turned around wondering if it was Charity. It wasn't much of a shock to find out it was Eli.

Eli titled his head at me. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I could be better." I said. "I'd stay away from Justin if I were you. He's not in such a perky mood to be talking with anyone right now."

He nodded. "After what happened last night, I wouldn't think he'd be in a chipper mood."

We walked into school together and I noticed pink pieces of paper on the lockers. My heart sped up wondering if it was another thing about me. I went over to the locker and ripped it off. Eli looked over my shoulder to read what it said as well. To my surprise, it wasn't about me at all.

"Rayann Waters, fat or pregnant?" Eli whispered aloud. "You didn't post these did you?"

I turned around to him. "No, the last thing I want is trouble from her. It's someone who would want revenge." I sighed knowing who did it. "Charity." I whispered. "She must have done it."

"Hey you two." Charity said happily as she came up to us. "Oh, so you saw the papers." She nodded smiling.

"Charity," I said, "you did this?" I asked.

She nodded. "No need to thank me."

"Thank you?" I questioned. "You made things worse. Do you know what's going to happen to me when she finds out?"

Her smile disappeared. "Well," she shrugged, "you weren't going to do anything about it. It was wrong for what she did to you."

Eli grabbed the paper from my hand. "And that's no excuse for you to do it to her!" He yelled at her.