Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Justin grabbed the cereal off the table and put it back in the cupboard. I'm happy Justin got some food at the store. I haven't had cereal for breakfast in a long time. Justin sat down next to me and smiled. I can tell he feels happier today.

There was a knock at the door. I looked over to Justin wondering who it would be. He got up and quickly walked over to the door. I leaned back in my chair to see who it was.

Justin opened the door. "Eli, what brings you here so early?" He asked backing up letting him in.

"I have some good news." Eli said.

I got up from the table and walked over to them. "What kind of good news?" I asked.

"Well, I heard you lost your job," Eli said to Justin, "so I pulled a couple of strings with my dad and I got you another job."

Justin glanced over to me like he didn't believe it. "Are you serious?" He asked Eli.

"I'm serious," Eli said. "My dad works in an office as an accountant, they're looking for a janitor there. It's not a great job, but it's better than nothing."

"What's the catch?" Justin asked.

"It's in Peotone, the next town over. It can be temporarily until you find a better job in town. If you want to take it, I'll call my dad up and let him know. You would work from four o'clock to seven-thirty on weekdays."

"Peotone is only a half an hour away; you can tell your dad I'll take the job." Justin said.

"Great," Eli said, "I'll give him a call and let you know when you can start."

"You have no clue how much this means to me." Justin said. He glanced at the clock. "We have to get going." Justin nudged me. "I'll grab your bag."

I nodded and he left the room.

"Did I not say I would handle it?" Eli smiled. "You're welcome."

"I thought you were angry at your dad," I mentioned, "why would you ask him to help you out?"

"He owes me."

"This means a lot to me, and my brother. Thank you." I said.

Justin suddenly handed me my bag. "Let's get going." He said and headed out the door.

I made sure I had Charity's MP3 player in my bag before I went out the door. Eli closed the door behind him and we went in separate cars. Eli left the driveway before Justin started the car. I looked at Justin wondering what he was doing. He gave a content look and shook his head.

"I don't know how many times that kid has helped us out." Justin whispered as he started the car.

"You're going to have to pay him back eventually." I said.

"Yeah, I'll think of something." Justin backed out of the driveway.

I slouched in the seat and wondered what Ray had planned for me today. What more could she possibly do to me? Thanks to Eli, Justin has found another job. Ray will not be able to get him fired where he will be working. That only leaves me questioning her next movement. Hopefully if I put up with her long enough she'll give up this insane dispute.

We made it to school and I was hoping to run into Charity before I walked into the school. She wasn't anywhere to be seen outside. Charity must be inside somewhere. Maybe she's talking to Eli, he did make it here before us. I walked into the school and began looking down each hall. Before I could go down the hall where Charity's locker was, I was pulled to the side.