Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-eight

I continued to stare at the ceiling, letting my thoughts run a million miles per hour. I thought about the anger Justin had as he tried accusing me. The shouting words Eli was trying to refute. It's like a different soul had possessed Justin. The worst thing that could have happened, happened. He didn't believe me. Can I blame him? Joe and Justin had been best friends for years, and I have lied to my brother for just as long. Of course he didn't believe me. I was stupid to think he would. I deserved it, I deserved the rejection from my brother.

There was a knock on my door. "Savannah," Kimberly said as the bedroom door opened. "Sweetie, come down for breakfast, you need to eat."

I sat up on the bed and looked at her. "I'm really not that hungry." I whispered.

She sighed. "Eli is downstairs, he's worried about you. What about a glass of orange juice? Just have a little something to join us for breakfast. You can't stay in your room all day."

I gave a faint smile. "My room?" I chuckled and looked around the guest bedroom. "Didn't think I'd get a bedroom that was mine. I've always had to share one with my brother." I took in a deep breath trying to hold back tears. "I'll be down in a minute." I said to Kimberly.

She nodded and shut the door on her way out. I groaned and laid back down to stare at the ceiling. The longer I kept my eyes open, the more they burned. My face probably looks as bad as it feels. Obviously I had skipped school today. With Charity's death and Justin accusing me yesterday, there was no way I was going to school, especially with Joe back. Eli didn't want to go without me so he stayed home as well. Although I think he's grieving for Charity too, even if he doesn't show it. It was so sudden. We were talking to each other, and a few hours later she no longer existed.

Before the depression took over I quickly got out of bed. I couldn't think about it anymore or I'd start crying. I took a quick look in the mirror on the dresser. Of course I had bags under my eyes and my face was puffy. I shrugged it off and left the bedroom. I tried not to let the sight of boxes remind me of future pain I may have. If it was any time I wanted to shut the world out, it was today. One little thing could push me over the edge.

As I headed toward the stairs I could faintly hear Kimberly and Eli laugh. After everything that's happened, I didn't understand how they could do that. I don't even know if I can keep a smile on my face. I've been able to put on a fake show for this long, but not today. I don't even know what it feels like to be happy at this point. What is happiness after all?

One of the steps creaked as I went down. I heard a chair being moved and I knew my presence had been discovered. I stopped where I was and Eli came around the corner. He let out a sigh of relief and put his hands in his pockets.

"How are you feeling?" He asked. I knew he meant well, but isn't that answer self-explanatory? Before I opened my mouth, he shook his head. "Don't answer that." He said taking it back. "Are you hungry, my mom made you breakfast."

I was hesitant to speak. I wasn't in the mood to eat even though I was hungry. I didn't know whether to try and tell him that. Considering he'd probably force me to eat, I just kept my mouth shut. I walked down the rest of the stairs and followed him into the Kitchen. Kimberly placed a plate on the table with a glass of orange juice. She began gathering the other empty plates and started doing the dishes. Eli pulled the chair out for me and then took a seat as well.

I noticed the table was different and the dishes I once ate off from are no longer the same. Since the house was vandalized, they must have had to go out and get new things or replace it with other items they had still stored. Thinking about how it was mostly my fault makes my mood even worse. Here I came out of hiding and all I want to do is go back to the guestroom. There was no going back now, I'm downstairs already.