Chapter Six

Chapter Six

After school I ran outside to beat Justin to the car. When I got outside, the car was gone. He left school already? Mrs. Malone must have sent him home early. I hope his punishment wasn't that bad. I feel like it's my fault.

I sat on the grass and leaned against the wall. It's a little warmer out than usual. There are no clouds in the sky and the sun is shining. It's a beautiful day. Too bad I feel depressed to enjoy it. I don't think I've been happy for a while. There's always something to be angry or sad about. What do I have to do to be happy?

Everyone started coming out of the school and most of them looked angry. Some had a couple of bruises on their face or scratches on their arms. I think half the people in the lunchroom were beaten up, all because of one little thing.

Joe didn't have to say those things. I'm not trying to get to Eli because he's rich. I just started hanging out with him and started using him to get over my fear. I want to get over this fear but no matter what I do it's always there. When the memories flow back I get scared.

I looked over and saw Justin's friend come out of the school. He's the one who was going to hit me. I bet he's not Justin's friend anymore. He glared at me and was hesitant to come over. I got a little nervous but he decided not to come up to me. He walked away angry.

"Hey," Eli said squatting down next to me, "we're still going to Ray's right?"

I nodded and saw that Eli's face had a light bruise. I pointed to his face. "You're getting a bruise." I said.

He smiled and rubbed his face. "Yeah, it feels like I got hit by a truck."

"Sorry," I whispered.

He shook his head and helped me up. "Don't apologize. Come on let's go to Ray's."

We went to his car and got in. This time I wasn't hesitating to get in. Eli has driven me home a few times and hasn't done anything. If he was planning something, he would have done it already. As we left the school parking lot, a couple of people were giving me dirty looks. Everyone at school probably thinks I'm using Eli now. That's not what my intentions are.

I glanced at Eli and stared back out the window. "Hey, I hope you know that I'm not trying to be friends with you because your family has money." I said.

"Yeah, I know."

I'm glad he knows. I knew he didn't think like that about me but just confirming it makes me feel a lot better. I'll have to be careful around other people with this situation. I don't need any more trouble than I already have.

We were silent in the car until we got to Ray's house. Eli parked in the driveway and grabbed what looked to be Ray's homework. When we got out I was shocked to see Ray's house to be small. For such pretty girl with expensive clothes, you would think she would live in a big house like Eli. Instead it was a regular white house. Eli walked up to the stairs and knocked on the door.

"Savvy, come on." Eli said.

I snapped out from looking around and went up the stairs and stood next to Eli. A young lady opened the door. It was noticeable that she was crying. The woman has to be Ray's mom, no doubt about it.

"Can I help you?" She asked softly.

"I'm Eli and this is Savannah. We stopped by to see Rayann."

"Oh," she moved out of the way, "please come in."

I followed behind Eli and went inside. The door shut behind us and I looked around the room. The walls were white and the carpet was tan. We were in the living room. There was a bookshelf near the door, and to my right were a couch, two chairs, and a TV against the wall. To my left there were stairs going up and there was also a doorway near me that looked like the dining room.