Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty 

"Why did you do it?" He asked circling around me. "It wasn't that bad that you had to go and lose your memory." He ran his fingers through his hair and smirked. "It could have been worse."

"It's your fault." I said. "Everything that happened to me was your fault."

"My fault?" He laughed. "I'm not the one who has lied. That's all you. Isn't the guilt ripping you apart, Savannah? Don't you feel awful lying to everyone you love? Imagine how your brother feels. I wouldn't want to be him when he finds out."

"You mean when he finds out what you did to me. He's going to be angry at you, not me!"

"So you think. You're the one who's kept the secret from him. Who is he really going to be mad at? It would be a shame if he didn't accept you after all you have been through. Then again you do deserve it."

"You're wrong. He's my brother, he would never -."

"Do that to you? Poor, poor Savannah." He stopped in front of me. "Do you honestly think he'll accept you? You're a dirty selfish human being." He pushed me down. "We all know where liars go."

I sat up and stared at the floor. It got cold and I suddenly became helpless. The room feels like it's getting smaller and the little light left in the room keeps fading.

"Is Justin going to forgive me for lying to him his whole life?" I asked. "What if – what if he'll hate me? Justin, he's all I have left."

"Don't you see?" He crouched in front of me. "Everything that's happened to you, it's your fault. No one loves you Savannah. It's best if you do us all a favor and give up now." He placed a knife in my hand.

I gripped the knife. "You want me to kill myself?" I asked looking up to him.

"It's for the best."

I stood up and stared at the knife. My mind kept daring me to do it. It mocked me saying I was too scared to try it. Every inch of me wanted to do it, to show my mind I could succeed.

"What's it going to be?" He asked.

"I'm sorry Joe, but this isn't what I want." I dropped the knife. The blade echoed in the room as it hit the floor. "I've had enough of your lies." I pushed him aside and walked away.

"You can't leave!" He yelled and stabbed me in the back.

I jerked awake and was relieved it was just a dream. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and glanced over at the clock. Its ten o'clock. I probably would have slept till noon if I didn't have a bad dream. Why would I even dream of something like that? That person in my dream, Joe. I've seen him before but my memory is just too foggy to retrieve any information. There's one thing I know for sure, he wasn't a figure of my imagination.

I got up and walked to the kitchen. A note sat on the table.

"Savannah, help yourself to some breakfast. If you need anything call me at work. Love Justin." I whispered to myself and glanced down at the phone number.

Eli is taking Charity and I out to lunch at noon, I might as well skip breakfast. I sighed and went back into my bedroom. I opened up a drawer and gathered some clean clothes. I already took a shower last night so there is no point on taking one today. I found a hair band on the dresser and decided to put my hair up.

When I look in the mirror, for a second I don't know who I am. Everyone says I'm Savannah, the girl who supposedly attempted suicide. Is all of that true? Who am I really?