Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The next morning I followed Justin to the car.  I felt the back of my head and remembered they put a couple of stitches in. The doctor said they're dissolvable so I don't need to come back to get them removed. My head is still pounding with a headache.

Justin had the car door open for me. "The car isn't in perfect shape," he said, "but it gets us to where we need to go."

I tilt my head at him. "We're going home, right?"

He smiled. "Of course, where did you think we were going?"

I shrugged. "I don't know you too well, so I'm just a little worried."

Justin's smile disappeared from his face. "We're going straight home, I promise. You don't have to worry about anything with me."

"Okay," I nodded and got in the car.

My arm started to itch and I pulled up my sleeve to see if anything was there. The words written on my arm were gone, which let me notice the scars everywhere. I wonder where I got these from.

The driver's door opened and I pulled my sweatshirt back over the scars. I want to ask Justin what it's from, but I know I'll regret it. In this situation I can't take chances. Whoever wrote that saying on my arm, must have known I would be searching for an answer and when I find out, I'm not going to like it.

"You haven't asked too many questions for someone who's lost their memory." Justin said pulling out of the parking lot.

I looked over at him wondering if he could read my mind. Maybe he read what was on my arm. He's trying to find out answers himself. No one knows how I lost my memory.

"I'm not going to bother to ask questions." I said.

"Why not? You don't want to know about anything else?"

"No, I think I'd rather wait for my memories to come back."

Justin didn't reply back to me. It was obvious he felt sad about my answer. He probably wanted to tell me all the stories when we were little. The slightest story might trigger my memories. My whole body is telling me not to get into it.

I watched the trees pass us one by one. I noticed the leaves on the trees were turning different colors. You can tell it is October. Before I know it, it will already be winter.

"Your face," Justin said out of the blue, "it has a bruise on it. Are you positive you don't remember a thing?" He asked.

"Nothing," I whispered.

He never mentioned anything after that. After time passed, we pulled in a driveway and Justin cut the engine.

"This is our house." He whispered.

I tilted my head. We must not have too much money or we would live in a better place than this. It looks small and grubby. I almost don't want to go in. Justin got out and came over to open the door for me. He waited for me to get out, but I felt very uncomfortable to leave the car. The atmosphere isn't what I thought it would be. Something about this area, it was very eerie.

"Are you going to get out?" Justin asked.

I sighed and got out of the car. He shut the car door behind me. I glanced around to get used to my surroundings. It seemed we were out in the middle of the country. It was mostly grassland, nothing else in sight. Justin walked in front of me to go to the door. I followed behind him even though I wasn't too sure about the house. He opened the door and turned around to me.

"Come on." He was persistent on getting me in.

I nodded and walked in the house. I let out another sigh and definitely knew we don't come from a good environment. It's not quite what I expected. The walls were dingy, the furniture had holes, and there were no lights in the room. This place makes me feel like I don't belong. Is this what home is supposed to feel like?