Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-nine

I was in a building with a long hallway. All the lights were off and I could start to hear a soft cry coming from one of the rooms. Fear began to set in because it sounded like Eli crying. Why is Eli here in a place like this? I yelled out his name hoping for him to respond. Instead he had screamed in pain. I ran down the hall trying to open each door. For some reason they were all locked.

One room was cracked open with a light peering through. I quickly go in and found Eli lying on the floor. His skin was pale and his eyes stared up at nothing. A red pool of blood began spilling out from him. He was dead.

The door behind me slammed shut making me jump. I turned around trying to keep myself from shaking. Joe stood there having a gun pointed at me. He smirked and tilted his head.

"You're next." He said and pulled the trigger.

"No!" I screamed while sitting up. I frantically looked around the room. I'm still in the hospital. Justin was to my right in a chair staring at me with wide eyes. I probably scared him out of a sound sleep.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I shook my head and tried holding back my tears. "Where's Eli? I need to see Eli." I said and pulled my blankets back.

Justin stopped me. "He's still sleeping, let him rest. Did you have a bad dream?" He pushed me back into the bed and sat next to me.

"I dreamt Eli died and I was next." I covered my eyes. "Joe's gone, but he's going to remain haunting me."

Justin sighed. "I know it must be really hard for you. I'm sorry you had to suffer by yourself for so long. I can't believe this happened. My best friend took advantage of my own sister. I knew him for a long time, but unfortunately I can't feel sorry for him. How awful of a person I must be, huh?" He reached into his pocket and handed me a folded piece of paper. "Here," he said, "I found this in my locker yesterday. I think Joe put it in there before he left school."

I looked at the folded piece of paper. It said "Please give to Savannah" on the front. It came from Joe? Suddenly I'm too scared to read it. I gave it back to Justin.

"Read it to me," I said, "I can't do it."

He nodded and opened the letter. He looked at me a little hesitant but began to read. "Dear Savannah, if you're reading this it means I can no longer say this in person. Let me start off by saying, I'm sorry. Saying sorry does not fix the damage I have done to you or the people around me, but I can't leave this world without apologizing. Things that I have said and done I feel cannot be forgiven. I understand if you cannot forgive me, because even I cannot forgive myself. There is no excuse for my actions. My mind is slowly leaving, as if I am going insane. Because of that, I start to act on my thoughts but hate myself for it afterwards. It's a struggle every day. I don't know what's wrong with me and I'm sorry I dragged you into this. I know it's hard, but please forget me. Forget the things that I have done and move forward with your life. I'm a coward for not being able to tell you this in person. Tell Justin and Eli that I am sorry as well. They are both great people who care and love you, even if I told you they didn't. Everything I said was a lie and I'm sure you knew that. Nothing I say will help the pain go away, but I hope by giving this letter it gives you some closure. Forgive me, for I have done wrong. This is goodbye, Savannah." Justin laid the paper in front of me.

"Move on? Forgive him?" I cried. "He did so much damage, he caused me so much pain! I lived in fear everyday wondering if I was going to die. How could he say something like that?"

"I don't think he could deal with the guilt." Justin said. "He may have written an apologetic letter, but it sounds more like a suicide note. He planned on killing himself, but instead changed plans when he found out where you and Eli were. Joe took five other lives instead, realized what he did and killed himself."