Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen 

I woke up feeling energetic for school. Today is probably the happiest I have ever been. It's strange, because I don't have a real reason to be happy. Maybe it's because of yesterday. Am I supposed to feel a little different after I get saved? I don't feel a difference, only this burst of energy I have.

I waited outside for Eli and noticed the air got cold. There was a slight breeze and you could hear a few birds chirping. The sun hid behind the clouds today. I always remember my brother telling me that when the sun is hiding it means the sun doesn't have enough confidence to shine, so it hides behind the clouds. Justin said if I shine then I'll help the sun shine as well. He told me that when I was little. I always believed it until I got older and understood the clouds naturally move over the sun.

Eli pulled up in the driveway and I snapped out of my thoughts and got into his car. I noticed Eli was still wearing glasses; he probably won't get contacts for a while. He smiled and backed out of the driveway. I was expecting him to ask me something, but he was silent the whole car ride. Today he went straight to school.

"Ray didn't need a ride?" I asked as he parked the car.

"No, her aunt is going to drop her off." He cut the engine.

We got out of the car and made our way to school. Usually I get stared at by people, but no one even bothered to glance. I think most of the people at school are used to me coming in with Eli. Out of everyone in the school, Eli chose me to be friends.

"Listen," Eli said, "I'm leaving school early today. I have to meet my dad before he takes off." His voice became a whisper as he said it. "I won't be able to give you a ride home, but you said you wanted to visit your brother at work. Will you be alright going over there by yourself?"

"Yeah, it's only down the street."

"Are you sure? I can always rush over to give you a ride." He sounded persistent on giving me a ride.

"No it's okay Eli, I'll be fine. So, your parents are going to go through with the divorce?" I asked.

He nodded. "My dad is moving out of the house today."

"Are you upset?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I already knew this would happen."

I didn't want to ask Eli anymore questions. He might not be showing his emotions, but I know deep down he's hurt. I can't help to feel sorry for Eli. His dad has been with him for a long time and now he's going to suddenly move away. I could only imagine what Kimberly is going through.

Eli nudged me as I opened my locker. "The bell is going to ring any minute, I'm going to head to class." He said. "I'll see you next period."

I kept silent as I watched him walk down the hall. I shook off my thoughts and grabbed my books. I shut my locker and was startled when I saw Ray standing next to me.

"Morning." Ray said and looked down at my neck noticing my necklace. She ignored it and continued. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Can it wait? I have to get to class."

Her eyes dropped to the floor and nodded. "Yeah, sure."

The bell rang and I saw everyone empty the hall.

"You can tell me later, promise." I said and started sprinting toward my classroom.

When I got to class my teacher gave me a 'you're late' look. He shook his head at me and I took my seat quickly. I tried listening to the teacher, but my thoughts over took my mind. I can't stop thinking about what happened last night. Justin was shocked when I told him I got saved. Even though he tells me he loves me no matter what, I can't help to think that Justin doesn't want me to change. Whether or not it's for the better.