Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Justin woke me up in the morning for school. When I sat up, I knew I did not sleep well at all. It was weird sleeping in a room I don't remember and lying in a bed that doesn't feel like mine. The bright side was I was chipper about school today.

I stood up and went to the dresser to find some clothes. When I opened up the first drawer I was shocked to see it empty. I opened up the second drawer and only a few pair of socks was in there. The rest of the drawers had stained up shirts, ripped jeans, or had nothing in it.

"Justin," I said, "what am I going to wear?" I asked.

He walked into the room and picked up a shirt on the floor. He smelt it, shrugged, and handed it to me. I dropped my jaw down and looked at him disgusted. I was trying to find the words to tell him that I was appalled, but it never came out of my mouth.

"Um," he looked around the room, "just wear this for today," he picked up a pair of jeans and handed it to me. "I'll do some wash today and have the room cleaned up a little better."

I nodded still a little disgusted in the life style I had. I went to the bathroom and took a quick shower and got dressed into my 'semi-clean' clothes. Justin is trying to make a better environment for me by comforting me, cleaning the room, and getting clean clothes. I guess it's a start.

After finishing up in the bathroom, I went to the living room and slipped on my sneakers that were next to the door. Justin came over and held out a few dollars.

"This is lunch money," he said. "Don't lose it."

I took the money and put it in my pocket. "I'm not five," I reminded him.

He smiled. "Sorry, it's a habit." He handed me a piece of paper. "This is also a note for your gym teacher. I don't want you doing anything stressful for a while."

I grabbed the piece of paper and put it in my bag. "What about breakfast?" I asked changing the subject.

Justin went to the kitchen and came back with a breakfast bar. "We don't have too much for breakfast, this is basically it."

At this house, I guess it is fend for yourself or starve.

I took the breakfast bar and quickly ate it. Justin grabbed my bag from the couch and handed it to me.

"I already put all your books in there." Justin said before I could check.

"Thanks."

It got awkward after we ran out of things to say. I'm not sure whether Justin and I could talk for hours and always find something to say. There are some things I wish I could know. Maybe if I knew Justin better, it wouldn't feel so uncomfortable between us.

 I got startled by the sound of a car's horn. Justin opened the door for me.

"You'll be with Eli all day until I am done with work; you're okay with that, right?" Justin asked.

I nodded. "It's no big deal."

"I'll see you tonight then."

"Alright," I said heading outside and towards Eli's car.

As soon as Eli saw me he put a smile on. I smiled back and before I knew it we were on our way to school. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it. I'm wondering what kind of rumors could be going around about me and I'm wondering if I'll be able to do the school work today. After all, I only did a few homework assignments. Now that I have no choice but to go to school, I'm having second thoughts.

"Are you okay?" Eli asked.

"Yeah, I guess I'm a little nervous. It's scary, not remembering school and all."