Chapter Two

Chapter Two 

"Sit there and don't move." The man demanded.

I did as he said and sat down in the chair. I stared at the dusty corner and felt very exposed. He touched me. Why did he do something like that to me? Who is this man? I've never experienced this. I don't know how to handle the pain.

There was a knock at the door and I peeked over my shoulder to see who it was.

"Are you done with her?"

Dad?

"She's all yours."

The man came over to me and grabbed me by the arm forcefully. He threw me out the door and from there dad took my hand. The man smirked at me and closed the door slowly. Dad rushed me through the forest to the car. When we got far away from the house dad stopped me.

"Savannah you have to listen to me, you can't tell anyone about this, not even your brother." He said frantically.

"What will happen if I do?" I whispered.

"If you do, you'll die by my hands."

I sat in the car waiting for Justin. I watched everyone go in their own car, get on the bus, or get picked up by someone. Everyone looks so happy and I look like I've been through a lot according to Eli. The driver's side door opened and Justin got in. I waited for his first question, but it was silent. I looked over to him. He picked up his black comb and brushed his short brown hair.

"Aren't you going to ask me what happened?"

"No." He said and put down the comb. He looked at me with his green eyes. "Eli already told me."

"What?"

"Not the one he told the principal, he told me the truth."

I looked out the window relieved I wouldn't have to explain it. Eli shouldn't have told him though, I should have.

"I thought we went over this, Savvy." Justin said in disappointment.

"Yeah." I said already knowing.

"Why'd you do it?"

"Because I was mad." I whispered.

"Mad? Mad about what Savannah? It's money."

He doesn't know my secret and he never will know. He only knows that I'm a stubborn girl who gets angry, who is in pain. When he's not around, I sometimes deal with the pain by cutting myself. Creating pain is the only way out of it, it's my escape.

"We'll talk about this later; we have to get to Mr. Lawson's house."

Mr. Lawson's house. I don't want to go there. He's one of those old guys who only talk about their past or how good his wife's cookies are, which I wouldn't mind having. As we pulled out of the school parking lot, I saw Eli standing in front watching us leave. I feel bad but at the same time I feel angry.

After a silent car ride, we came to Mr. Lawson's house and he was standing outside with others; next store neighbors maybe. Justin parked on the side of the road.

"So what am I going to do?" I asked Justin.

"Do some of your homework." He said as he got out of the car.

Homework? What teenager wants to do homework? I watched Justin go to Mr. Lawson and they started talking. I got my book bag and took out some homework. I don't know how long I'll be here so I better get started. I put my feet up on the dashboard and put my book on my lap. I tried to focus on my work but my mind wandered on how ugly our car is. Of course we don't have money for a brand new car but we could do better than this hunk a junk.