Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The next morning Eli came to pick me up. When I got in the car I was a little shocked to see Eli wearing glasses. They're definitely not reading glasses if he's driving.

"What's up with the glasses?" I asked.

"I ran out of contacts."

"You wore contacts?"

He chuckled. "Yes, I never told you?"

I shook my head and buckled up. When we got into town, I noticed we were going a different direction than normal. He was supposed to take a right at the stop sign. I looked at him wondering if he was paying attention.

"Where are you going?" I asked. "School is back there."

"I have to pick up Ray. She's at her aunt's house. Last night her mom wasn't doing too well. Ray went to her aunt's house last night while her mom was in the hospital. She's fine, but she's still in shock from Matt dying. She'll be out of the hospital by tonight."

Eli pulled over on the side of the road and honked the horn. Ray came running out of the house and got in the backseat. She smiled at me.

"Morning," she said.

"Morning," Eli and I both said to her.

Those were the only words we said until the rest of the way. It was almost an awkward silence. Nothing good has happened in days so there isn't much to talk about. I'm running out of hope. My days get longer, the list of lies keeps going, and the pain gets worse. I'm about to give up and confess to Justin. There's nothing this life can offer me so why hide everything?

When we got to school Ray ran off with her other friends. Ray doesn't seem to be interested on hanging out with Eli and I. Ever since her father died, she's changed. It's almost like a whole new person. I remember the first day she came up to me and asked to be friends. It's not the same girl.

I grabbed my books from my locker and got the feeling someone was watching me again. I didn't look around, I ignored the feeling. Eli poked me in the side. I looked over at him a little confused.

"What?" I asked shutting my locker.

"What are you doing after school?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, why?"

"After school at my house, we're having a little youth group get together." He put his hands in his pockets.

"Youth group? Isn't that for religious people?"

He shrugged. "If you want to put it that way."

Thinking about the subject, I remembered when Eli had a necklace around his neck. It was the day he pulled me away from the car. I remember the shape of it now, it was a silver cross.

"So, you're a Christian?" I asked.

He nodded.

"You wear glasses and you're a Christian, is there anything else I don't know about you?"

Eli smiled. "Lots, but we'll just take it one day at a time. So what do you say? It will only be for a couple of hours."

"Why don't you ask Ray?"

"I did, this morning. She kind of avoided my question. You don't have a problem with me being a Christian, do you?"

I shook my head. "No, not at all." I thought about it for a couple of seconds and sighed. "I guess I could come."

"You don't sound too enthused, you don't have to come."

"No, I want to come. I was thinking about Justin. He got a job at a grocery store, he just started today. I was thinking about going to visit him, but I'll do it tomorrow."