Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

We got to school the next morning and Charity came walking up on the sidewalk when I got out of the car. Her eyes were facing the pavement and she looked upset. She could have had a bad morning. I walked over to her.

"Hey Charity," I said.

She looked up to me and I knew right away she's been crying. When I first met Charity, she looked as if she was tough, like no one could bring her down. Now that I see her sad, it's different.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Charity rubbed her face and then looked at me. "Nothing, it's one of those days, you know?" She grabbed her long hair and put it up in a messy bun. "You don't have to worry about me, I'm fine."

Justin came walking up next to me. "You must be Charity?" He asked her.

"Who are you?" She asked.

"This is my brother, Justin." I answered.

"I heard my sister found a new friend," Justin said, "I had to come see for myself." He patted my head. "Now that I have, I'm going to head to class. I don't want to be late for my first day. I'll see you later." Justin walked away.

"First day of school?" She asked me.

"He was suspended when he got in a fight with Joe."

"The guy we saw on Saturday." She nodded. "I understand now." We continued to walk in the school together. "It's too bad we don't have our first class together." Charity said. "Eli is actually in my class."

"We still have second period together."

Charity stopped and pointed down the hall. "My locker is over here, so I'll catch you later."

I nodded and went down the hall to go to my locker. Eli and Ray were talking with each other next to my locker. Ray glanced over and saw me coming. She gave a smirk and hugged Eli. Before I could make my way to them, Ray already skipped off happily.

"What was that about?" I asked.

Eli pulled my locker open. "She asked me out on a date." He said slowly.

I pulled some of my books out. "A date?" I rolled my eyes knowing she did it on purpose. "Why? Are you two dating?" I asked closing my locker.

"No, but I have a feeling she wants to." He whispered. "It's one date," Eli shrugged, "what could possibly go wrong?"

I nodded. "Let me know how that goes." I headed down the hall. I sighed to myself and knew today isn't going to go as planned.

After first period, Charity and I met up in the hall and walked to our second class together. The backseats were still empty. I thought Eli would have beaten us here. I shook the thought off and sat down in my usual spot. Charity sat at the other table to the left of me.

"Did you do anything fun this weekend?" She asked fiddling with her pencil.

"Not really." I whispered remembering yesterday.

"Charity," Eli suddenly said next to me, "did you want to sit here?" He asked pointing to his seat.

I looked at him confused. It's nice he's offering his seat, but my question is why would he?

"Uh," Charity looked over to me confused as well.

"Where are you going to sit?" I asked Eli.

He looked away from me. "I'm going to go sit next to Ray."

Charity got up and sat down next to me. "In that case, I'll definitely take your seat."

Eli kept his gaze away from us and he went over to sit next to Ray. She smiled at him as he took a seat. Something is going on between those two. I don't understand. Eli said we always sit here, so why is he sitting next to Ray? And if he knew Ray started those rumors about me, then why is he bothering to hang out with her?