Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

The sun peered through the window blinding me. I buried my face into my pillow and dug my nails into the bed. I looked at the clock next to me and groaned. It is eleven o'clock, how did I sleep so long? I even went to bed early. Joe is expecting me at his house at one. How am I going to get into town to meet Joe? I can't drive and I have no excuse to give to Justin, or Eli.

I sighed and rolled out of bed. I looked around the bedroom and felt comfortable in the room. It was quaint and homey. That's probably why I slept so long. I'm at ease sleeping here. At my house I'm always on pins and needles wondering if Ernest is going to find another way to make my life miserable. I'm always afraid to disturb his regular routine, and then he'll end up doing something to me. When I'm at Eli's house I can be myself and relax.

It almost feels like a dream. My whole life I wondered if there was a place like this. Now that I found it, it doesn't seem possible. I feel stupid denying Kimberly's offer yesterday. I really want to stay here. I could care less if Ernest is reported for abuse. I'm scared to let it happen though. If Ernest gets one chance to get revenge, whether it's before or after he goes to jail, he won't hesitate. I don't want to be killed by my own father, so for now I'm going to have to put up living with him. Even if it means denying what I want. In spite of everything, the only thing I really want is to be happy. One day I want to look in the mirror and tell myself that I am content with my life. That desire is starting to feel like a vague dream.

There was a knock at the door scaring me. I went over and opened it. Kimberly stood there awkwardly smiling.

"Sorry," she said, "did I wake you?"

I shook my head. "No, I was just coming out."

"I was worried. You went to bed so early and you missed breakfast." She smiled. "I wanted to make sure you were okay. I know me asking you to live with us was a bit of a shock. I hope you weren't mad."

"Not at all. I must have been tired that's all."

"Well come downstairs, I already have your breakfast cooking."

I nodded and shut the bedroom door. I walked downstairs with Kimberly. She told me to sit on the couch while I waited. I agreed and sat down. Before Kimberly went in the kitchen she grabbed the remote and turned the TV on that sat on the wall. She handed me the remote and told me to watch what I wanted.

Kimberly really knows how to be a mother. She knows how to have fun, she worries like a parent, and she cooks for her kids. I would love to live here just to experience what it's like to have a mother. Justin tries to be a father but I'll never know what it's like having a mom.

Someone flicked me in the head. I rubbed my head and turned around to see Eli.

"You slept long." He said.

"Yeah, sorry."

Eli hopped over the couch and sat next to me. "Justin called and said he would be here soon."

"Did he say anything about what happened yesterday?" I asked.

"No. I tried prying it out of him but he didn't want to say over the phone. Probably because your dad is home."

I fiddled with my fingers and looked over at Eli. "Thanks for yesterday." I whispered. "You didn't have to run with me all the way to your house, but you did so thanks."

Eli smiled. "That only means you owe me."

"I already know I owe you a lot." I whispered. "Go ahead; tell me how I can repay you."

"Go on a date with me."

I looked at him. "What?" I asked in shock.

"I want to go on a date with you," he continued, "today."