Chapter Thirty-Six

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Let me know if you cannot read Chapter 37 (next chapter)! It had been set to private due to a difficulty with Wattpad's guidelines. Only my followers could read it. If you cannot find/see Chapter 37, please let me know. The problem should be fixed now! 

Chapter Thirty-Six

I put my hair in a bun and sat on the edge of my bed waiting for Eli to knock on the door. Kimberly had to meet up with her friends early this morning, so I've been alone in the hotel room. It has made me a nervous wreck. As much as I wanted to come here, I wish I was home. It's uncomfortable knowing Joe is in the next room over. I feel safer in my room with my brother. This weekend has officially been ruined. Somehow, it always becomes a disaster. Trouble finds me, no matter where I hide.

A knock on the door had startled me. "Who is it?" I asked wary.

"It's me, open up." Eli said. I calmed down and opened the door for him. "Come on," he said, "let's get breakfast before it gets any later."

I nodded and went out in the hall with him. "What are we going to be doing afterwards?"

He shrugged and continued to walk to the elevator. "Whatever you want to do, if you want to head home right away we can. My mom will be leaving later than us, so we can leave whenever."

"I'd like to leave as soon as possible, if we can." I whispered. Feeling a little paranoid I turned around. I let out a sigh of relief seeing the hall empty.

Eli nudged me. "Hey, nothing is going to happen. You don't need to worry. I'd like to leave soon too though. We'll be visiting Chicago again; when we come back we'll tour a little more. For now, I don't like staying here knowing we're being watched. Let's eat breakfast and split."

"Fine by me." I whispered.

We walked in the elevator together and he pressed the ground floor button. He sighed and leaned against the wall.

"Maybe we should skip school one of these days and take a day trip somewhere." Eli said.

I chuckled. "That would be nice and all, but I'm pretty sure your mom wouldn't allow that."

"It's not my mom who would have a problem with it; it would be your dad. What he doesn't know won't hurt him though." He smirked. "Think about it, okay?"

"I'd rather us stick around town until everything with Joe is settled first." I whispered.

"Come on, he wouldn't follow us. No one even has to know where we are going. It will just be us. Consider it at least."

"Alright," I nodded. "I'll think about it."

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. I was expecting Joe, or one of his friends, to be in front of us when we came out of the elevator. Thankfully none of them were around. I've been paranoid for far too long. I think I'm finally ready to tell Eli what's been going on. I'm sick of always being on the lookout or scared I might put myself or my friends in harm's way. If I had reported Joe to the police sooner I could have avoided Nick from getting beat to a pulp, Charity wouldn't have been threatened, and Justin would understand why I've been lying to him so much. Instead I let fear keep me from saying a word. That's exactly what Joe wants though. I should have done something sooner; it would have prevented a lot from happening. There's nothing I can do now. As soon as we get to Eli's house I'm going to finally confess and put an end to this agony. Not only for my sake, but for everyone around me as well.

There were still quite a few people eating their breakfast as we had walked into the room. The first thing I did was glance around the room looking for the couple from yesterday. I didn't see them. Now that I know they are Joe's parents I'm even more worried. They obviously don't know what their son has been doing to people, what he's been doing to me. Frankly after his father blowing a fit with Eli, I don't even want to come in contact with them again. I wonder if Joe acts the way he does because of his father. It's a possibility, but it's no excuse for the things he has done. His actions are unforgivable.