Chapter Four

Chapter Four 

Every night I went to that man's house and every night I memorized that path. I knew exactly where it was. After a while the man's alcohol scent became normal.

A year passed and it's been about a month since I haven't gone to that man's house. My father finally got a job and for once we're doing well. One day at school our teacher made us watch a video. I realized it resembled the situation I was in. Then it finally clicked. I knew what that man did to me. He raped me and my father got paid for letting him do it.

At school the teacher told us to take out our homework and I completely forgot that I never finished it. I was so mad that I had to get a job I forgot to do the rest of my homework. That means I have to do double the homework tonight plus look for a job.

I sighed to myself. I'm so stressed out with everything. Ernest is telling me to get a job, I have to keep up my grades, I'm trying to get over my fear, and on top of all that I have to keep my secrets from Justin.

The teacher went around the room looking at everyone's homework making sure they had it done. She got closer to me and I started to get a little worried. After that incident with me and Eli, Mrs. Robinson probably doesn't like me very much.

Eli took my piece of paper and swapped it with his. He quickly erased my name and put his.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Shh," he said.

I looked down at the paper and noticed he erased his name and put mine. Mrs. Robinson looked at Eli's paper, or should I say my paper.

"Eli, you didn't finish the assignment." She said.

"I know Mrs. Robinson. I was a little busy last night unpacking. I just moved in and all."

"This better not happen again Eli."

Eli nodded and Mrs. Robinson quickly looked at the paper I had then went back up front to go over the questions.

"You didn't have to do that," I told him.

He shrugged. "I was the one who kept you busy last night. It's my fault. Anyway, it looked like you were getting stressed out."

Saved by Eli once again. If he keeps this up I'm going to have to owe him. I hate owing people. I'll just need to make it so he doesn't need to help me.

I looked around the room and noticed Ray wasn't in class. She must be out sick or skipping class. I don't mind if she's not in class. Yesterday was weird enough for me. Ray could be home crying about how much she regrets trying to befriend me.

Eli chuckled beside me. I looked over to see him erasing some of my answers.

"What are you doing?" I whispered.

"Your spelling is horrible," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes. It's just a couple of mistakes. Actually, now that he mentions it, I never was good at spelling. English is one of my worst subjects, I wonder if I'm failing it. Probably. If I fail English I might have to retake tenth grade. I'm not having a good year.

The second bell rang for lunch as I stuffed my books into my locker. I moved some stuff around and remembered I never packed a lunch. Maybe Justin brought money for lunch. I slammed my locker and headed toward the cafeteria. Someone wrapped their arm around mine and I looked over to see Ray. Her eyes lit up with excitement.

"Savannah, how are you?" Ray said cheerfully.

"I'm okay." I said still a little confused from her excitement.