Mated To The Dragon- Ch. 33

Mated To The Dragon- Chapter Thirty Three

Maria had to compose herself before daring to cross back into that room. She knew that if Scarlet lost her baby it would be devastating for her. She knew what it was like. She knew how intense the grief was, the only difference between the two girls was that every time Maria lost a baby, she could always depend on Sin to hold her and share in on the pain. Having the baby's dad right at your side was not the same as having your Luna there. Maria knew if Sin wasn't there to stray her mind away from all the potential things she could have done, she probably wouldn't be with her today. But he was.

Now on the other side of that door was a girl expecting her first child. Who was completely submerged in a maternal state, more so now that she'd heard the heartbeat. Who was such a powerful Queen for living through what Maria allowed Sin and the members of their pack to do to her and missing Dargon.

She'd already lost her mate . . . But to lose her child as well? Two equal, unexplainable, pains that no one should have to experience together in a lifetime. And what made things even worse was that Maria knew Scarlet's baby was not going to make it. How could any person in the world cope with carrying a child they knew was destined for death . . . ?

Maria closed her eyes. She felt a tremendous amount of pain. She didn't even want to go back in the room. She wasn't ready to see the girl, excited for a child she would never even get to see grow up. What was she to even do? Was she to tell Scarlet her baby was as good as dead? Or was she to let her live in this beautiful, heavenly, fantasy and not burst her bubble - instead let everything naturally take its course?

. . .

No. She had to tell her. She had to tell her that the infant wouldn't survive past seven weeks. Says Marlow, at least.

Inhaling, she blew out the breath and opened her eyes. She could do this.

She placed a slightly trembling hand on the doorknob, and twisted it, welcoming herself back into the warmth of the room.

"Oh God, Maria, did you hear it? Did you? My baby. Its so surreal . . . I can't believe I'm pregnant . . . I'm going to be a mom . . ." As soon as she'd walked in, she saw Scarlet, up, in front of the mirror holding her stomach and beaming.

"You're no longer sick, I see." Maria said.

"I still feel like crap," Scarlet gave a weak, breathy laugh, dark rings around her eyes from lack of sleep. "But I have this sudden energy . . . Ya know? How can I lay there dreading something that's meant to be so beautiful? As soon as I heard that noise everything just . . . Clicked into place . . . My God . . . I'm carrying a baby . . . There's something inside of me and its alive and in a few weeks its going to be . . ."

Dead. Maria thought.

"In my arms," Scarlet finished, her eyes glossy.

"Scarlet, there is something you should really know. I'm just trying to find a way to tell you. Its so hard . . but . . ." Her voice trailed off; thoughts jumbled. Sighing, Maria stared at her stomach. "Scarlet . . . Did I ever tell you about my miscarriages?" She was aware she didn't. She just had to find some way to work up to sharing such dark news.

Scarlet, now surprised and sympathetic, looked at her. "N-no . . . But . . . You can, please . . ." She started to feel so bad. Here she was, in awe still, ranting about her child and the gorgeous noise of its beating heart . . . Completely unknowing that it must have been as bitter to Maria as it was sweet for her . . .

Maria slowly walked to the bed, and lowered down to it gracefully. As graceful as a woman sitting down could get. "Sin and I have been wanting a baby since . . ." She pushed her hair behind her ear and shook her head. "Ha, since we met. So you can imagine how excited and anticipated we found ourselves when our many attempts finally paid off - not that the sex was annoying or anything." She smiled. "We never made it too far in though . . . Time after time, We'd be told something went wrong, which to this day I still can't understand what. But we lost what was supposed to be our legacy . . . More than . . . Once. So seeing you and caring for you in your time of need has been so joyous for me. But it brings back memories of what I used to have . . . Losing your baby is like losing half your heart . . . It hurts . . . One of the worse known pains . . . Something I would never ever wish on another soul but life happens and so does death . . ." (Sigh . . .)

"I guess what I'm really trying to get to saying is that . . ."

Scarlet stared at her, eyes wide, waiting. Maria glanced down at her tummy, recalled the tears that built up when she first heard her baby's beating heart, and clenched her teeth together. She forced a smile. "I know you're going to be an amazing mom. You're just like I was when I was pregnant. I'm so happy for you," She abruptly got up, approached the girl and pulled her into a tight hug. Scarlet let out a long, hot, breath. "Oh, Maria . . ." She wrapped her arms around her, and buried her face into her neck. Her words meant so much to her.

Maria's heart skipped a few beats. She opened her eyes, and was met with her reflection. In her face she saw so many things . . . And down her face rolled a thick tear drop.

She shut her eyes once more, and held Scarlet.

'I'm sorry . . .' She mentally apologized, unable to say it aloud, just like she was unable to tell Scarlet the fate of her poor unborn baby.
***

A/N: Visions of the next few chapters are playing through my head. And I just had to get this one done or the idea would have left, then I was gonna be pissed. >.<

But here! :3

Like this chapter if you made it to the end! <3
Comment your thoughts, I enjoy seeing all those wonderful comments! <3
Follow me if you want to be notified for further updates!
Share this story to your fellow friends!