Mated To The Dragon- Ch. 32

Mated To The Dragon- Chapter Thirty Two

"You have to lay on your back," Marlow said, eyeing Scarlet as if she was to automatically know what she were doing. The girl wasn't sure what was happening. Marlow had a device, it looked a little intimidating. It wasn't big, though. It was a portable object. Pink and white with a little screen, and buttons and small holes towards the bottom, to which she assumed some sort of sound was meant to be emitted from it.

Maria, letting Marlow's edgy tone slide, helped Scarlet to slowly lay onto her back. Her tummy, firm and slowly smoothing over, was still exposed from the bandaging being removed.

"Talk her through it." Maria said, watching her actions intently.

Marlow gave her a look, but blew out a quiet sigh. She reached in the duffel bag she'd brought with her and retrieved a small bottle, similar to that of lotion. It was colored white, so the contents of which were inside was unknown.

"This is Sonigel." She popped open the top. "It's used for sonograms." She squirted out a decent glob on her stomach, and Scarlet jerked, a shiver running down her spine. "I forgot to mention, its cold." Marlow added, yet the way she said it implied she was waiting for the reaction for her own personal amusement.

"Thanks for the info," Scarlet whispered. Their eyes connected, but Scarlet soon closed hers, feeling another wave of nausea. She could hear Marlow hit a button, then she felt something press into the gel and smother it over her stomach. She suppressed another shiver. Silence took over. Scarlet could hear a weird ocean like noise fill the room. It was faint, but at the same time it pierced the air. After all, it was the only thing sounding out.

Marlow grazed the Doppler over her skin in loose circles, searching. Nothing could be heard besides the constant whooshing and static.

After a few minutes, a deep thump crossed over, but Marlow had passed over it so quickly. Scarlet's eyes shot open. "Go back," She breathed out.

The idea of her bring pregnant left a bad taste in Marlow's mouth. There was no legit reason as to why she hated Scarlet with such a passion. Besides the fact she left the pack. She thought it wouldn't affect her so badly. Maybe it was only because she had experience with being neglected. Maybe she felt that if she could leave the family atmosphere of her pack, then she could without a doubt leave her baby.

But she didn't understand. She didn't know what Scarlet had to go through before she showed up. The torment she was destined too. She could never leave her kid.

Marlow moved the Doppler over her stomach again, and paused. The same small thump came through the speaker of the device, not loud at all, but audible to their ears. Scarlet froze, and listened. Her nausea faded from her thought.

She squeezed her eyes shut and ignored the wet tears that accumulated. Marlow kept the Doppler in place, giving her time to absorb the noise. Scarlet felt overwhelmed with emotions. This living creature . . . It was hers . . . Hers and Dargon's. A special human that was created by them. He or she would only be born once, and Scarlet was privileged enough to be the one who was to deliver the child.

She was so stuck in awe, that when Marlow removed the doppler, she wasn't aware the beating heart of her son or daughter had left the room. Scarlet could still hear it clear as day, ringing in her ears. Marlow watched her for a few seconds, quietly.

Maria's face shadowed emotions. Something wasn't right.

The dark haired she-wolf dug into her bag to pull out a thinning roll of paper towels with one hand. She ripped of a couple, then started cleaning the gel from the Doppler. When it was cleared of the blue substance, she placed it carefully back in her bag, ripped off some more paper towels, and cleared off Scarlet's stomach. The girl flinched upon contact, but settled down to let Marlow finish her job. Scarlet was still in a daze by the time she finished. She just couldn't believe something so beautiful sounding was living inside of her.

When Marlow swung her duffel bag over her arm and got up, she trashed the paper towels, and moved to leave, until Maria grabbed her arm, and stared into her face. Marlow refused to make eye contact. Instead she bobbed her head towards the exit. Understanding, the Luna followed her out, and closed the door behind her.

"Something feels wrong. Why was it so faint?"

"Because its weak. The fetus is fighting to survive. The fluids are surrounding it. And its not going at the right rate, a pup's heartbeat at its age is supposed to be nice and full."

"But its not all pup, its got dragon blood coursing through its veins. Surely that may be what's affecting it?"

"That's besides the point. Any baby of any species, mixed or not, should have a strong healthy heartbeat unless there is something seriously wrong in the womb. Then again, I've never dealt with a case like this . . . What is she, four weeks?"

"Maybe?"

"Ill give it to week seven."

She assumed that since it was a mixed breed the extension of pregnancy would be shorter, and Scarlet's baby would come a little earlier. So with glistening eyes, she asked, "Before the baby is born?"

"No. Before the hybrid child's struggle ceases. I give that baby to week seven - at best - before it dies. Hopefully you've not grown attached to the beast." And then she turned, and left her.