Cupid Valentine

Tis best to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Some of the best quotes come from the wise men. People use the greats to woo the girl, you know Shakespeare, who wrote Romeo and Juliette. Star-cross lovers. Well, maybe that's a bad example since both of them off themselves at the end. But you know what I mean.

My name is Cupid Valentine and I am a teen matchmaker at the Banksend High School.  It started off as a lark just having a play on Valentine's Day where teens fawn over people they love.  It started as a joke in the school newspaper. Who knew people would seriously write in about love and my advice would help?

Then it morphed into me sending flowers and love notes to the crushes, making people have a happy ending. But I digress. What started out as plain fun became something more.

The only issue was to keep my identity a secret. If people knew I truly was I would be the laughing stock of the whole school. Why might you ask? Because I'm the last person people would suspect.

With my secret identity hidden, I felt like Batman, okay, not really, but it still felt cool. I carried on that way until I received a letter from a freshman named Marley Cassidy.  It seems this innocent flower had the biggest crush on The Jake Maddox. You know the guy that was popular, played sports, had a girlfriend since forever and in the words of the girls was hot. Yep, the unattainable guy this girl would never get.

I know it sounds mean, but it's the truth. But me being cupid I couldn't crush the poor girl's dream. I mean every girl deserve once chance at love, don't they?

Let me explain how this all came about, so you have a better understanding. I was busy answering letters from people in love when I came across a pink envelope.  I opened the letters thinking it was another, what should I get my girl/boyfriend for their birthday or Christmas or for Valentine's Day.  Those were starting to bore me.

I started to read and this is what the letter said,

Dear Cupid,

I know you probably can't help me, but my friends pushed me to write to you. I have a problem. I really like this boy. I know it's stupid, but I think I'm in love with him. You're probably thinking I'm too young to know what love is, but to me, love sees the best in people. With this boy, I see more than all the other things. Do you probably want to know who he is?  It's Jake Maddox and I think he's special. He has the biggest heart and is so kind. He even helped me pick up my books when someone bumped into me making me drop them. He could have walked away but he didn't. He helped. That was the day he captured my heart. The only problem is he has a girlfriend and he doesn't know I existed. Please help me Cupid.

Sincerely,
Unrequited love Marley

This letter peaked my interests for so many reasons. Then it hit me. I searched and finally found it. After reading it, I folded it up and shoved it in my pocket. It was at that moment I knew exactly what I had to do. I had to try and get these two together; finally a challenge.

I wrote back to Marley thinking that was it until I received a letter back from her. All through freshmen, sophomore and junior year we corresponded this way.  We got to know each other pretty well and our letters eventually moved to text. I assured her I was not a serial killer and that in fact, I was her age also a senior at Banksend High. After she thought about it, she accepted my offer to communicate through text.

It saves money on stamps. We started texting more frequently and our conversation moved from talking about our lack of love lives of other things. It eventually turned into a friendship with me never revealing who I was. I thought it was better.

It was the night before the summer break. I was laying in bed when my phone screen lit up. I had a text from Marley.

Are you awake? - M

Yeah, I'm just laying here. What's up-CV

I've got some news.

What's that?

I'm going to stay with my grandma this summer.

That sounds fun.

You mean, if you like the smell of mothballs and no tv as being fun, yeah sure.

It can't be that bad?

Hello! I have no internet either.

Well, that sucks.

Tell me about it.  It also means you probably won't hear from me till I get back.

Why's that?

Because I won't have a phone signal.

Damn, that does suck.

I'll talk to you when I get back.

Okay, have a safe trip. Ttys.

I will. Night.

I turned off my phone rolling onto my back. Damn, she was going to be gone all summer. I loved our conversations.  She hadn't brought up Jake in our conversation ever since we started texting. I wonder if she still likes him?

I shook the thought from my head and rolled over, going to sleep. I know you're not supposed to have feelings for someone when you're helping them but I couldn't help it. I was starting to fall for Marley and I was really going to miss her this summer.

I wonder if she will remember me when she returns this fall?  With that question, I rolled over and fell asleep.