Nightmares from the Past

Previously:

Gumball's POV:

I was able to walk to Marshall after a few more practices. I felt so accomplished. He interlocked our fingers and we left the hospital.

We head towards the car and got in. We were on our way home. My real home with Marshall and Simone. All I could do was smile at that fact.

-------------------------------------------------
Marshall's POV:

Gumball's Dad has been in Aaa State Prison for a few months now. The court decided that the monster and the man  was going to take life in prison for child abuse, rape, and drug use.

I wonder if Gumball will finally feel safe in my arms. I want to do everything I can to have Gumball trust me. I don't know anything about his past. I wonder if he is comfortable to tell me yet.

We arrive at the house and during the car ride Gumball fell asleep so I carried him bridal style all the way to his room. I tucked him under the light colored covers and he seemed to move and grab the closest thing to him and closer to his body which was a small squared pillow. He had a frown on his face like he was on the verge of crying.

Then all of a sudden he jumps up from slumber screaming with tears falling down his face. I reach over and pull him in a hug rubbing my hands in a circular motion on his back. "It's okay Gummy. I'm right here." I kept telling him things in his ear.

"I'm....s-sorry." He said in a quiet whisper. "Why are you sorry?" "Be-because I-i l-let t-them d-die." "What!?who?" Gumball's eyes widen in tears after putting his hand over his mouth. "It's okay Gummy, you can tell me anything." He was stuttering and really shaken up, what happened?

Gumball slowly drifted his head down, his bands covering his watery eyes. I lifted his chin with my pointer finger and thumb so he can look at me. "Gummy please tell me what's wrong. What happened?" 

Gumball was hesitant, then he continued "It all happened a while ago, my past to be exact." He is telling me his past the thing I have wanted to know since the beginning when I found him on the streets. I'm glad he's comfortable with telling me.

Gumball's POV:

This is about the most difficult and hurtful thing I have ever done, telling someone about my past. I have never told anyone about the nightmares that keep me up at night because of it. But Marshall, he changes people, he changed me. He makes me want to be more open with him. And I love/ hate him for that. I have to give him my trust, he saved me. I owe him at least an explanation.

So I continue, "I was six when I l-lost my d-dad. The m-man you saw me with a couple months ago isn't my dad he's my s-st-step-dad. My real dad was in the m-military and he was an e-excellent soldier.

One day the military commander and side marshal showed up at my house to tell my mom, me and my older sister that he was....g-gone. It h-hurt all of us. M-me especially. My d-dad and I-I where really close and I would m-miss him a whole lot when he left for w-weeks or even m-months.

Then our bills were s-starting to r-rise as our m-money was s-starting to l-lower. I didn't get as much stuff as before but I d-didn't really c-care as long as my m-mom and s-sister were able to eat, bathe, and able to sleep with a roof over their head."