Chapter 36- Smaug awakens

Adisa Pov

Kili groans in pain from on top of the bed and Fili looks worriedly over at me. Bofur hurries over with water and we all look at Oin.

"Can you not do something?" Fili asks.

"I need herbs, something to bring down his fever" Oin says.

"I have nightshade. I have feverfew" Bard says, placing the herbs on the table.

"They're no use to me. Do you have any kingsfoil?" Oin asks.

"No its a weed. We feed it to the pigs" Bard replies, I look at Bofur and he looks back at me before realising what I'm trying to say.

"Pigs? Weed. Right. Don't move" Bofur tells Kili before hurrying out the door.

"Is there nothing else we can do Oin?" I ask, as I wipe Kili's head with a wet towel.

"Keep him comfortable and keep that towel on him. There is not much we can do without that kingsfoil" Oin says.

"What about Ava? She is of elven upbringing, I'm sure she would know of eleven healing. Where is she?" Bard asks. I look down at Kili worryingly before replying.

"She went to find her mother, I do not know when she will be back, or if she will be back" I say, my heart wrenches at the thought of her not returning.

"Does she have any skill with healing?" Oin asks.

"I do not know, her past is not something she would talk about and the only time that one of us needed elven healing was when she saved me from the Goblin King. I do not know how she healed me then, or even if it was her. I'm sorry, Fili" I say sadly, as I look at his worried face.

"Its not your fault, I'm sure if Ava knew Kili was injured that she would return. But there is no way of telling her, or knowing where she is. We will just have to hope that Bofur finds that kingsfoil" Fili says, grabbing my hand and resting it on Kili's chest. Kili gently mumbles Ava's name before he groans loudly in pain again and all I can do is watch.

Bilbo Pov

"You want me to find a jewel?" I ask Balin, as he leads me down one of the many corridors. My mind is whirling with thoughts of how impossible and dangerous this task sounds. The thought of being close to the dragon makes me sick to my stomach.

"A large, white jewel. Yes" Balin replies with a sideways glance at me.

"Thats it? Only I imagine there's quite a few down there" I reply, as I struggle to see how I am going to find one jewel in amongst all of Erebors treasure.

"There's only one arkenstone and you'll know it when you see it" Balin says confidently, walking further down the corridor before stopping.

"Right" I say in disbelief. Balin turns to me with a rather sympathetic looks on his face.

"In truth, lad. I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to. There's no dishonor in turning back" Balin says.

"No, Balin. I promised I would do this and I think I must try" I say, with a surprising burst of courage that I did not expect. Balin chuckles and I look at him oddly.