Chapter 20- The journey continues

Adisa's Pov

The day had gone by quickly, with most of it consisting of Ava and Beorn talking at the dining table. I was going to join but I felt like I would be intruding. No matter how curious I am about how they met. Instead I sat with the rest of the company as we waited for our instructions on what's happening.

While we waited I took the time to calm down and relax now that we're not continually on the run. I was currently nibbling on a roll of bread and talking with my father. It feels so weird to call him that, after never knowing who my father is. I still seem to refer to him as 'Bombur' as he was my friend, before I found out he was my father. All though we did always have one of those father-daughter relationships.

He was telling me stories about his, I mean our family. I couldn't wait to meet my many siblings as I always thought I was an only child. It would be a big change to suddenly go from Ava being my only family, to being surrounded by my blood relatives. I am excited though, I never thought it would be possible.

My thoughts are interrupted as Beorn bumps me with his leg, as he walks past me to where Thorin is leaning against the doorway. Why is he always leaning against the doorway? Does it make him feel special, standing above us or does he just not sit down. It's not like orcs are suddenly going to come bursting through the doorway. Well, I hope not anyway.

I stop talking to Bombur (I still can't get used to calling him father) as Fili sits down next to me. Bombur kind off looks sad, but his expression soon changes as he spots Bofur bringing more food in from the kitchen. I laugh at his face as he grabs the bowl of food out of Bofur's hands and starts devouring the contents.

I look back at Fili and notice him staring at me, I expect him to look away but his gaze doesn't move from my face. This causes me to blush madly as I flatten out a stray piece of hair behind my ear. The memory of the kiss we shared, before we fell into the goblin cave, suddenly pops into my mind. Fili smirks, as my face reddens further, as if he can read what is flashing through my mind. I'm not quite sure what to expect from him, Ava and I have always been so busy and have never had time to find a partner to court, I have never really had the urge to. Not until I met Fili that is. I sigh in frustration, why is life so complicated.

Fili notices the change in my mood and he reaches over with his hand to grasp mine gently. His eyes questioning me, as if asking what's wrong. I shrug it off and shake my head. There is no need to fuss over it, we have other things to worry about. Fili nods and wraps his other arm around my waist, so I am sitting closer to him on the bench. This makes me roll my eyes and I sink into his touch. I need to stop worrying and focus on what really matters, which is getting the dwarves home back. . . my home back.

"Tell me, why is Azog, the Defiler hunting you?" Beorn asks Thorin from the doorway. This gets my attention and I lean forward slightly so I can hear better. I can see Ava leaning casually against the wall as she and the rest of the company listen in as well.

"You know of Azog? How?" Thorin asks cautiously.

"My people were the first to live in the mountains, before the orcs came down from the north. The defiler killed most of my family. But some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him" Beorn explains sadly.

"There are others like you?" Bilbo asks curiously.

"Once there were many" Beorn starts.

"And now" Bilbo urges.

"Now there is only one" Beorn finishes. "You need to reach the mountain before the last day of autumn. Before Durin's day falls"

"Yes" Gandalf replies simply.