Chapter 19- Old friend

Ava's Pov

I wake up with a yawn and wince when the bandage on my back rubs over my wound. I must ask Kili to replace it before any infection can set in. I move around and stretch out my sore muscles. I'm still sore but it's the best sleep I have had in a while. I hear a groan from beside me as Kili rolls over onto his side, grabbing at the air as if he is reaching for something. I raise my eyebrows as I realize that I am what he is searching for.

"Are you looking for something?" I ask when Kili's eyes open, as he realizes that all he is purchasing is thin air. He grunts gruffly and sits up.

"Well it's not like I was looking for Fili and I'm sure Adisa would not appreciate it, so take a guess?" Kili says grumpily as he stands up and starts searching around Beorn's home.

"What are you looking for now?" I ask curiously as I follow him into another room. He searches through a set of draws until he comes across something that I guess is what he is looking for.

"A fresh bandage for your back" Kili says as he moves closer to me. "It needs to be changed, to avoid infection" Kili says gently. It seems his grumpy mood has worn off.

"Thanks" I say genuinely, as I thought he would be too grumpy to do it. I don't know what the big deal is, it's not like we are courting or anything. It is rather improper to sleep next to each other anyway. Even though I have never been one for rules. I glance over into the corner of the room where Adisa and Fili are still sleeping, cuddled up next to each other. It brings a smile to my face. Adisa looks happy and that is all that matters.

"Are you ok?" Kili asks as he comes over to me, dragging a big chair behind him.

"Yeah, it's great to see her so happy" I say happily. Kili grabs hold of my arm and gently pushes me onto the huge chair.

"Ummm, I need to be able to access you wound" Kili says as he awkwardly looks down to the ground.

"Kili, you don't need to be embarrassed. You're only changing my bandage, that's it, ok?" I say as I gently lift Kili's head up with my finger under his chin.

"No, I mean you need to sit forward so I can get to your bandage." Kili explains quickly, his face starts turning red and he looks embarrassed.

"Oh" I say as I take my finger away and turn around on the chair so Kili can access my back. His fingers brush lightly on my back, leaving tingles on my skin as he goes to pull Fili's shirt up and over my head. I shiver away from the cold and Kili quickly removes his hand at the same time. He looks at me apologetically but I shrug it off.

"It's just cold, carry on" I say and Kili nods his head in response. I takes almost an hour for Kili to clean and re-bandage the wound. By that time I am absolutely freezing. There is a reason I usually wear a big thick coat. Kili seems to finally notice how cold I am and he instantly takes of his cloak and drapes it over my shoulders. He then gets up and moves over to Fili's bag. He comes back soon with another of Fili's shirts in hand. He is soon followed by Fili and Adisa themselves.

"How many shirts do you have?" I ask Fili. He smirks at me and then looks pointedly at Kili.

"When you have a brother like Kili you learn to pack extra" Fili says as he pulls out a chair next to me and sits down with a smug. I turn to look at Kili with my eyebrows raised. He just rolls his eyes and chucks the shirt at me. I quickly take his cloak off and pull the shirt gently over my head, so as not to ruin the bandages Kili just applied. Once it's on I go to hand Kili his cloak back. However he just shakes his head and tells me to keep it.

"But won't you get cold?" I ask worriedly.

"No, i'll be fine. You need it more than I do" He says in response. I nod gently and drape the cloak back over my shoulders. It instantly brings warmth back into my aching bones and I feel myself snuggle further into the cloak. It still smells like Kili and I involuntary take a deeper breath through my nose. I look back up to see all three of them looking at me weirdly.