Chapter 16- Into the fire

Adisa's Pov

I half carry and half run with Ava down the hill. Kili is holding Ava's other arm over his shoulder as we run along. We are still slightly lagging behind and I make myself push my legs faster as I can feel the wargs gaining on us.

I glance behind me to see how close the wargs are but somehow I manage to stumble over my own feet. Luckily Kili and Ava's weight counteracts my own and I manage to stay on my feet.

"Come on!" Kili cries as I stumble on again, Ava isn't extremely heavy but it's still a hard task to try and outrun wargs at the same time as you are supporting someone else.

"I told you I can run fine on my own" Ava groans accusingly from between us.

"Yeah, and you would be run down in seconds. I'm not going to let that happen" Kili says as he continues to push us harder.

We suddenly come upon a cliff face and there is nowhere to turn. I glance behind me again and see the wargs are too close for comfort. I scan around me and all I see are trees.

"Up into the trees! All of you climb!" Gandalf yells as he begins making his way up a tree, that is standing very close to the edge of the cliff.

"Quickly!" Thorin yells. A smile almost comes to my face as I see Bofur use Dwalins head as a footstool as he climbs into a tree.

I look around me and spot a tree that looks fairly easy to climb. Kili jumps up onto the lowest branch and then reaches down to take Ava's hands. He pulls her up and I reach up to pull myself up onto the branch.

Once i'm settled high enough I glance down to see how far away the wargs are. "Bilbo!" I cry out as I see him pinned against a tree by a warg. I soon sigh in relief as I see his little sword sticking out of the wargs head. He killed it. My heart suddenly starts racing again as I notice how close the wargs are and Bilbo is still on the ground. Luckily he pulls it out just in time and manages to scramble up the nearest tree.

I pull myself further up the tree and settle myself next to Ava. She is breathing hard from the effort of getting here and I can see the colour draining from her face. She doesn't look good. She notices me looking at her and rolls her eyes. She must see the worry written all over my face.

A shocked gasp suddenly makes my head turn as I notice the figure standing on a ledge astride a white warg not too far away.

"Azog" Thorin says in shock.

"Do you smell it? The scent of fear? I remember you father reeked of it . . . Thorin son of Thrain" Azog says in a language that I do not know.

"It cannot be" Thorin says.

"That one is mine. . . Kill the others!" Azog orders.

The wargs begin to creep forward and start pawing and jumping up at the base of the trees that we are currently perched in. Luckily we are far enough up that they cannot reach us. However my relief does not last long and soon the tree I am sitting in begins to tip over. I grab hold of Ava's arm as we jump into the next tree. She screams in pain as she lands awkwardly on the branch. We jump again into a different tree but this time Kili helps Ava as we jump.

I can hear Azog laughing from below us and I wish so badly that I could wipe that smug look off of his face.
A flash of fire suddenly flies past my face and I turn around in shock. Fili and Gandalf are throwing pinecones that are on fire onto the ground. I laugh with joy as the wargs begin to retreat as the ground below us catches on fire.

My laughing is cut short as the tree next to us, that holds some of the dwarves starts to tip over the edge of the cliff.

"No!" Gandalf gasps as Ori and Dori fall out of the tree. Dori luckily manages to grab hold of a branch and Ori grabs hold of Dori.