Chapter 37- Ava's return

Adisa's Pov

I wipe the sweat away from Kili's head, the minutes pass agonizingly slow as we wait for Bofur to return, hopefully with some kingsfoil. I look down at him worriedly as he groans in pain. The floor suddenly shakes and I look up to see dirt falling from the ceiling. My stomach clenches at the thought of the cause of such a shake.

"Da?" Sigrid asks coming forward.

"It's coming from the mountain" Bain says, as they turn to look at us. Fili looks over at me and I know we are thinking the same thing. If Smaug is awake, what has happened or will happen to the rest of our company?

"You should leave us. Take your children. Get out of here" Fili says.

"And go where? There is nowhere to go" Bard states.

"Are we going to die, Da?" Tilda asks her father.

"No darling" Bard reassures her.

"The dragon, it's going to kill us" Tilda says with fear. Bard sets his jaw before reaching up and ripping something from where it hangs from the ceiling. I look at it in shock before I realise what I am looking at.

"Not if I kill it first" Bard says determinedly before stalking out the door, black arrow in hand. Bain runs after his father and I turn to look at Fili in shock. He has one shot to take down Smaug, one shot to save us all. Yet we don't even know if the rest of the company members are alive. Kili arches his back in pain again and I refocus myself. Right now helping Kili is my main focus.

"Do you need anything?" Sigrid asks from beside me.

"Could you check to see if Bofur is back yet?" I ask gently and she nods. I continue to wipe Kili's forehead as Fili clasps his shoulder reassuringly. The door opens and Bain walks back in, instantly walking over to his younger sister to comfort her. I wait for a second but Bard does not follow. I hope for all our sakes that if that dragon has truly awoken that has aim remains true.

"I'm sure they will be fine. They will find a way to kill the dragon" I say reassuringly to Fili, knowing that he will be thinking of his uncle and friends, as I am worrying for my newly found father and his companions. Yet somehow doubt laces my voice and I can't seem to convince myself that it's true.

"I surely hope so" Fili says, looking down at his brother. I go to ask Bain where his father is when I'm interrupted by a scream and a crashing sound. I launch up and grab the nearest thing to me which happens to be cup of water, very helpful. Before I can run to help Sigrid the door crashes open revealing an orc. Oin and I both quickly throw the cutlery in our hands, while I feel for a remaining dagger. Many were taken from me in Mirkwood and I never had the chance to refill my holders. I clasp one that had stayed hidden and throw it at the orc in the doorway. I instantly realise my mistake as another orc crashes through the ceiling.

Sigrid screams again as she rushes into the room, with an orc following close behind her. Fili rushes forward with no weapon in hand and rams that orc into the wall. The orc pushes him away and I propel myself forwards as he lands. I kick the orc in the face before reaching down onto the table beside me and grab a plate, quickly smashing it down on the orcs head. I turn around to see another orc smashing through roof and groan as I fumble around for anything to use as another weapon. I find nothing and duck down as the orc advances, narrowly missing the blade of its weapon. I kick out with my leg and catch it in the shin but am knocked over by a force behind me. I reach out with my hands to grab a broken bit off wood and hold it out in front of me to block the orcs next swing, only to have the blade stuck in the wood, which is then wrenched out of my hand. I quickly look to see Fili struggling with an orc while the girls hide under the table. I roll to the side as the orcs blade comes down again before his motion suddenly stops. I look up at the orc in shock as it suddenly pitches over and falls, an arrow protruding from its back.