Chapter 8- Rivendell

Adisa's Pov

I know how much that dagger meant to Ava. And I wish I had managed to get it. But in that split second decision I hadn't thought of the dangers. I am glad Fili caught me before I did any damage, and what he said was seriously sweet.

A horn sound is suddenly heard above us. And a disgusting orc body falls through the hole. It has an arrow protruding from its chest. Thorin walks over and picks out the arrow, looking at it in disgust.

"Elves" He says, throwing the arrow onto the ground. I look over at Ava to see if she has anything to say about Thorin's comment but she shrugs it off and I can tell she is gutted about the dagger. That only makes me feel worse for not being able to get it for her.

"I cannot see where the pathway leads. Do we follow it or not?" Dwalin asks.

"Follow it, of course" Bofur replies.

"I think that would be wise" Gandalf adds in.
The dwarves head off down the path,
following Dwalin in the lead. I quickly
run up and squeeze in line behind Fili.

"So, ummm, thank you for what you said, and for also stopping me. I wasn't thinking straight." I say as I tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"That's ok. We all have our moments sometimes and you were trying to do something nice for Ava" Fili replies and I smile, glad he understands.

"There's light ahead" Gloin informs us. That's when I see it, the place I had once called home for a short time in my life.

"The Valley of Imladris. In the common tongue, it is known by another name" Gandalf says as the rest of the company's eyes fall upon the beautiful sight.

"Rivendell" Bilbo mutters in awe.

---------------------------------------------

Ava's Pov

The company follows a path down to Rivendell. We arrive in a little courtyard, as a dark, brown haired elf, who I remember is called Lindir, approaches.

"Mithrandir" Lindir says greeting Gandalf.

"Ah, Lindir" Gandalf greets him back.

(Elvish is in italics)

"We heard you had crossed into the valley" Lindir says.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond" Gandalf replies.

"My Lord Elrond is not here" Lindir says.

"Not here? Where is he?" Gandalf asks. A horn is heard in the distance and all heads turn to see elves on horseback, galloping along the path.

Thorin yells something in dwarvish and the dwarves begin to crowd together in a circle. I'm trapped in the middle, but luckily I am tall enough to see over the dwarves heads. I pull my hood up to keep hidden, I am not a big fan of all the greetings. The horses start to circle around us, as if we are prey.

"Gandalf" Lord Elrond says.

"Lord Elrond" Gandalf replies.

"My friend! Where have you been?" Gandalf asks in elvish.

"We've been hunting a pack of orcs that came up from the south" Elrond says as he dismounts his horse.
"We slew a number near the hidden pass."

"Strange for orcs to come so close to our borders. Something or someone has drawn them near" Elrond says to Gandalf.

"Ahh, that may have been us" Gandalf says.