Chapter 12- Stone Giants

Ava's Pov

"Be on your guard. We're about to step over the edge of the wild. Balin you know these paths, lead on" Thorin instructs us, as we trudge farther away from Rivendell. I was quite reluctant to leave but I knew we needed to continue with the journey.

"Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up" Thorin says to Bilbo as he notices Bilbo looking longingly at Rivendell. It seems i'm not the only reluctant one.
Bilbo nods at Thorin and continues up the path.
We walked long and hard. Our energy refreshed since our rest at Rivendell. The amount of time we spent walking without a break seemed endless, and I could feel that energy seeping away again.

"Kili" I call out from the back of the company, where I am watching Adisa laugh at a joke Bofur told her.

"Yeah?" he replies from up front.

"I think we need to talk" I say as he stands to the side of the path, so that the others can pass him. Once he's standing by my side, I pull him back a bit so the rest of the company can't hear us.

"This sounds serious" Kili jokes with a cheeky smile on his face.

"It is very serious, nothing you should be joking about" I say in a very serious tone, as I raise my eyebrows at him, he quickly relaxes the smile so his face looks normal.

"Ok i'm listening, but we should still keep on walking, so we aren't left behind"

"Oh, yeah, right, anyway I just wanted to ask about Fili" I say as I continue to walk along the path.

"What about him?" Kili asks as he wiggles his eyebrows at me.

I glare at him playfully and roll my eyes. "I'm asking because of Adisa, I kinda caught them at a, umm, close time"

"Oh I get it, you want to know if Fili likes Adisa" Kili guesses.

"Well, no, I want to know if Fili will hurt Adisa or not, because if so then i'm going to have to have a very serious talk with him and. . . "

"Hey, wait, Fili would never hurt Adisa, he's not like that" Kili says interrupting me mid-sentence. He pulls on my arm and we stop.

"Oh ok, I was just checking. I'm just super protective is all. I don't want Adisa hurt"

"I understand, i'm the same even though i'm the younger brother" Kili says with a shrug of his shoulders, as we start walking again.

"Yeah I guess i'm not used to having other people to care for her. It's always just been the two of us, you know"

"I get it, but things change. Now you both have new people to care for you"
He says, smiling at me. I smile back at him, before glancing up at the sky. By the looks of it a storm is about to hit.

I didn't realise how close we were to the misty mountains. My stomach fills with dread as I remember the last time I came close to this mountain.

Flashback

I stay close to the wall as I creep along the tunnel. I can hear the booming voice of the goblin king as he bellows out orders. I peek around the corner and see a hoard of goblins surrounding something on the floor. It has taken me a long time to finally find her.

After following the orcs for a few days, I had steadily grown weak. One night when I had been slowly losing sight of the pack of orcs, it became too much for me and I passed out from exhaustion.

I thought I had lost her, had failed her. But I kept on going, kept on trying, as I used every scrap of my knowledge to track the path those beasts were taking.