Chapter 19: Connections

"Wh-what is going on?" I ask still holding myself up on my knees. "There's so much blood." The memory comes back to me and I heave up the little bit that is left.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that Emma." Sam comes over, rubbing his hand across my back "we should have had you wait outside."

"In the middle of the woods?" I squeak out trying to keep myself calm by breathing in and out through my nose.

"Right." Sam says knowing I wouldn't have stayed outside without one of them. "Did you find anything?" Sam asks once Dean comes back outside.

"Nothing. It's all gone." He mutters back angrily. "Dick." He adds on in a haste.

"Who or what would do something like that?" I question.

"Dick." Dean mutters again.

"What?" I look between the two brothers for clarification on what the hell they are talking about.

"It's a bit of a long story." Sam tries to pass it off.

"I don't care how long it is, tell me." I demand, standing up now and wiping at my face with my jacket sleeve.

Sam sighs and nods "fine, but we should get going. Dean.." He gives his brother a knowing head now and the three of us walk back to the car. "Stay here." Sam opens the back door for me as Dean opens the trunk. A few moments pass before the trailer with all the blood and computers is up in flames and we are driving quickly away from it.

After the fire is long gone and only the scent of smoke sits on the boys clothes, do I then decide to speak up from the back "so, what's going on?" I push.

"The portal to purgatory was opened and these things called Leviathans got out, nasty ass monsters. We're trying to take the head man, Dick Roman out."

"Dick Roman?" I ask, knowing the name.

"One in the same." Dean assures.

I try to think of what to say "I--I've met him once before. Him and Rick have done some deals." I tell the two of them.

They both look to me, Sam turning to look over his shoulder and Dean through the mirror "go figure Rick would know Dick." Dean exclaims back.

"So wait, he's a monster?" I question, trying to soak in the crazy idea.

Sam nods "for a few months now. We're just trying to figure out what his plans are and stop them." He informs me.

I exhale "well, I'd like to help if I can." I tell them.

Dean shakes his head instantly, even before I finish saying the sentence "No way. We got this, you are not getting involved."

"I might be able to help figure out how to get a hold of him. Come on Dean, if there's something I can do to help, I want to!" I argue back "If not, then I'll just go, I'm probably just getting in the way anyway." I say, hoping they don't want me to leave.

"Knock it off." Dean calls me out "you're not getting in the way, I just can't let you get involved."

"We can't." Sam corrects him. Dean looks at him and nods, as if that's what he meant to say. "I'm sorry Emma, it's too risky."

"Risky my ass! You can't even sleep for more than 3 minutes at a time. You could use all the help you can get." I spit back at Sam, getting fed up with being treated with kid gloves. I take a deep breathe before speaking again "I know you guys want me to stay away but Rick knows Richard, let me help."

"You are not calling Rick." Dean tells me.

"Of course I'm not!" I answer back "but I have met other people in my life who's crossed path's with Richard." I inform them.

Sam looks to Dean who looks to him, their facial expression pretty much invisible to me by the dark of the night. "Fine. You can see what you can find out." Dean gives in.

"Great! Let me make some calls." I say, letting them know I already have some ideas.

Sam turns to look at me over his shoulder "use a burner cell, and don't call anyone who'll go back to Rick and tell him he talked to you, we don't need him getting back involved."

"got it." I assure, already mentally going through my head to think of who I could talk to that isn't in Rick's pocket. The list is minimal, but names do come to mind.

The next afternoon we stop at a phone store and grab some burner cells. I step away from the brothers, claiming to have to use the bathroom and dial Rick's mothers number. "Hello?" She asks daintily.

"Hi Mrs. Carmichael, it's Emma." I say back, trying to speak as softly as I can.

"Emma, darling. How are you? I haven't heard from you in so long, I was getting worried." She says to me. She knows what kind of man her son is, unable to do anything about it. His father was a similar man, she was stuck in an endless cycle being surrounded by terrible men.

I kick the thought of it out of my head, knowing this was almost my own fate "I'm safe right now, but I don't have much time to talk. I wanted to ask you about someone Rick knows. Have you ever heard of a man named Richard Roman?" I quickly ask.

"Yes. I met him once before at a benefit. He's a nice man. Why darling?" She questions further.

I hum out "I'm trying to get a hold of him, without warning Rick about it though. Any chance you have any other information on him?" I ask her with hopeful thoughts.

I hear something in the background on her side of the phone "Please stop calling this number." She stammers out and I hear a click.

"Mrs. Carmichael?" I ask, pretty much already knowing she hung up on me. "Great" I hum out loud slipping the phone into my pocket. I make my way back to the car where Sam and Dean are waiting and we get in and head off to their next destination. They get me a motel room and head off on some other hunt Sam found on the web. As soon as they leave, I call back Mrs. Carmichael, hoping to figure out why she hung up on me in the first place. The phone goes straight to voicemail and I try it two more times before giving up. I know I can't leave a voicemail, but I can't help but feel something isn't right. I wait for as long as I possibly can before feeling sick to my stomach about it. I scribble a note on the crappy paper for the brothers and make my way out of the motel room and into the streets to make my way to Vermont to find her and talk to her in person.