Chapter 3: A feeling of safety

I wake up and look at the clock next to the bed. 6:34 am. I fell asleep for a few hours. Longer then I have in months. I wouldn't say I feel refreshed. In fact, 2 near death experiences will probably keep my tired for days. I sit up and Sam is sitting at the chair reading over something. I cough lowly and he looks up.

"Hey Emma" he smiles slightly.

"Hey" I croak out with a dry mouth. I grab the water that's next to the bed and chug some down. Although I want to ask why he's still here, I decide against it and accept the generous time they spent watching over me. As creepy as it may seem, id rather that then Rick returning. "Can you do me a favor?" I ask him.

He shakes his head and says "sure"

"I'm gonna get some cash and you think you can drive me to the bus station?" I ask him.

"How are you gonna get some cash? You don't even have anything with you" he says looking around as if I don't know that already.

"I learned some things. It's not very legal, so I shouldn't really get into it" I shrug it off swinging my feet out of the bed. I look down and remember I'm in his plaid shirt from the night before. I pull it down over my knees.

"Where will you go?" He asks another question

"Somewhere he hopefully won't find me" I say, talking about Rick.

"Well, that's what I talked to Dean about last night" he says standing up and walking over to the edge of the bed. He motions to the bed to ask if he could sit, I nod to confirm. "Why don't you stay with us awhile? After everything you've been through, I don't think you should just pick up and leave." he explains.

"That's nice" I smile to him "but you don't even know me. I don't know you, or Dean"

"Well, he's my brother. And we hunt monsters. There's not much else to know about us. What about you?" He smiles back innocently.

I chuckle "not really what I meant. Let me think about it, okay?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

He nods his head and puts his hand on my shoulder lightly "sure" he lifts his hand off and walks towards the door. My skin burns where his hand was touching, but in a good way.

I stop him "where are you going?" I ask.

He turns "I'll grab some clothes down the road for you, you got some blood on the shirt. I figured you'd like some clean clothes before you go anywhere."

I look down and notice the blood "oh, crap! I'm so sorry!" I say trying to wipe at it.

Sam laughs "it's just a shirt, I have enough plaid in my wardrobe anyway. I'll be back soon. I'll have Dean keep an eye out for Rick when I'm gone." And with that, he leaves the room.

I stand up and go to the sink. The bruises from last night are now tinted yellow after setting in. They are tender to the touch. I unbutton Sams shirt and let it fall to the floor. I kick it into the corner of the bathroom and sit down in the bathtub. I turn the water on hot and let the hot water and steam take over my body.

I get out of the tub and wrap myself up in another towel. I walk out of the bathroom and there's a set of clothes sitting on the bed. I get dressed. The jeans are a bit big, so I use my belt from the outfit I arrived in. He got me a black T shirt and a plaid long sleeve to go over it. I throw it on and both fit fine. I lace up my boots and brush out my hair. I go to the door and open it slowly peeking out. Sam is standing against the wall next to the door and Dean is against the black car we rode in the night before. I nod to him when he looks at me and he whistles at his brother to get his attention from looking at the newspaper in his hand. They both walk inside behind me.

"Look, I don't really just hang out with strangers. But you did save my life." I say to the two of them after I sit on the edge of the bed to talk to them.

"Twice" Dean interrupts and Sam gives him a nudge.

I continue "So, if you're sure about this, I'll hang around for a bit" I finish biting my lower lip waiting for their response. They don't respond right away so I speak up again "just a few days."

"Sure" Dean simply says.

"I think that's a good idea" Sam adds in. "We're going to have to head out now though"

"Okay" I nod looking between the the two. I leave everything behind, not wanting the memory of Rick or the wendigo. Dean gets back into the driver seat and I slide over the back leather seats before the engine roars to life. Dean swings his car around and picks Sam up out front of the front office. He dropped off the room keys and we're peeling out of the parking lot. I look behind me and try to let the memory of the days before fade away with the view of the hotel.