Chapter 14: A Truth Reveled

"Alright. So I just look at the white dot and try to line it up with that other white thing on the gun?" I ask looking as I hold a gun up and pointed towards a target. Sam took me out into the woods near by this motel to teach me how to shoot. He's put up some beer cans that Dean didn't recycle and tells me the basics.

He nods his head "right. You want them lined up when the gun goes off, they'll be a kickback so it'll adjust your aim, try to stay steady." He explains "might take a few tries." I close my right eye, learning a while ago I'm left eye dominant and get ready to pull the trigger "give it a shot" he encourages me.

I take a deep breath, and after the exhale is released I hold my hands the way he showed me and shoot for a bottle. It hits it and shatters onto the ground "how was that?" I ask lowering the gun, making sure to keep my finger off the trigger.

"You're a natural" he smiles wide back at me. I smile in return, happy at his words and pull my arms back up to shoot the rest of the clip. When the clip is out I hand the gun to him, letting him reload it "if you continue learning this fast you'll be hunting down ghosts in no time." He jokes as he reloads it.

I laugh along with him, taking the gun once it's loaded and shooting more glass bottles. When the clip is empty I turn back to Sam and Dean is standing behind him "great, she can now shoot the demons host to death." He rolls his eyes, stepping up closer towards Sam "why are you teaching her to shoot Sam?" He growls at his brother.

"It's a start, Dean." The younger brother returns annoyed.

"She can't kill the demon with a gun" he retorts back. He walks over to me and grabs the gun out from my hand. He pulls something out from behind his back "you'll need to learn some Latin if you wanna take this thing out." He thrusts it into my arms.

"What?" I question looking at the old book.

Sam comes over to where the two of us are standing off "Dean" he grunts trying to pull his brother to the side. When his green eyes just stare back blankly at him he sighs and says what he wants right there "she can learn that overtime, right now she should learn the basics so that-"

"Why? So she can come out hunting with us?" Dean interrupts him "No, she's not becoming a  hunter." He spits.

Sam just eyes him "why not? You saw her shooting, she's a natural!" Sam defends me.

"Don't you remember what happened to Jo? Or Ellen? Even mom?" Dean argues.

I step a bit closer to Dean "are saying I can't be a hunter because I'm a girl?"

The anger at his sexism rushes through me and I bite my lower lip with anger as I wait for his response "no, I'm saying you can't be a hunter because I'm sick of losing people I care about." And after that he walks away, keeping the gun I was practicing with in his hand.

I want to argue back but I can't think of anything to say in return. My mind is stuck on the words 'people I care about.' My eyes follow him as he storms away, trying to process what just came out of his mouth, he cares about me? I think to myself. "Maybe he's right" Sam starts to doubt himself helping me learn and his words pull my attention back to the situation at hand.

"I'm not going to die if I become a hunter Sam" I try and persuade him again.

Sam shakes his brown locks, some falling in front of his eyes "we can barely watch out for each other.." He says back.

"Sam" I grab his arm "I'm not worried about monsters, I'm worried about Rick." I tell him "all I want to do is know how to protect myself, so if something does come after me, I'm ready."

Sam looks at me, his head titling and thinking. He sighs, giving in to me and taking the book from my hand "I'll help you with self-defense. Leave the rest of the hunting to my brother and I." He compromises with what Dean wants and what I want.

"Thank you" I smile back happily. He goes to turn and walk away but I call after him "wait, we're done?" I raise my eyebrows in question.

"No" he shakes his head "but if I'm gonna teach ya some self defense there's no point in sweating out here when there's plenty of space inside for that."

"Oh" I say back stupidly and go to follow him in. I watch him closely as we make our way to the motel. His eyes furrow in thought and I ask him "what are you thinking about?"

"It's just funny.." He starts off "a few years ago I would've been the one wanting to keep you away from hunting and Dean would be teaching you all the tricks of hunting."

"What changed for you?" I ask him.

He thinks about it, the door inside now in view. He stops before we get inside to answer my question "honestly, I think I want to get Rick out of the picture. I don't want you to have to worry about him anymore."

"That's real selfless of you to help me like this" I return feeling lucky to have been saved by the Winchesters.

He shakes his head "it's actually all for selfish reasons." He smile slyly.

"Oh!" I explain back with a blush, not expecting the additional information. I lean in and give him a hug "well, thank you." I say before letting go and going inside. I curse myself for what's happening. Yesterday I had a moment with each brother and today they have both announced their feelings for me. I don't know how to sort through my own feelings for them, liking each of them in their own way.