Chapter Thirty-One - To kiss a hero

I woke up early the next morning on the couch, I didn’t realize that Edward got up and made himself comfortable on the floor with a few blankets. I remembered how he kissed me and I started to worry, I sat there deep in my thoughts until someone decided to call, my phone rang loudly.

“Oooh my Godd! Who the hell calls at – ah…” Edward checked his phone “At seven in the morning! Ugggh!” he whined
“Edward shut up” I laughed

“Hello?”

It was Harry.

“Who was that?” He said
“Oh, it’s just Edward being annoying”
“He spent the night at your house, again?”
“Yeah we just kind of crashed you know?”
“Sure.”

I could hear frustration in his voice.

“Harry, um… what were you calling about?”
“Well, I called to know if you wanted to have breakfast but you know…”
“Oh well, I mean it’s fine, do you want to come over? I’ll make it”
“No, it’s okay, really... I think Niall’s coming over soon… sorry I called so early”
“Okay… well I’m here if you need me.”
“Alright, see ya”

I hung up. I knew Harry was mad but I didn’t want to deal with any problems.

Edward got up from his little makeshift bed and walked into the kitchen and grabbed a carton of orange juice from the fridge, I stared…

“Um… Edward, when did you take off your shirt?”
“It got hot” he laughed

I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. Edward sat next to me. I wanted to know how things were between us, I didn’t want to ask, but I didn’t have to, because Edward somehow read my mind.

“Mary, if the kiss… made you uncomfortable I promise... I’ll never do it again and we can forget it the whole thing, yeah?”

I paused. I didn’t want to forget it happened…

“Why did you kiss me?”
“I was… caught up in the moment I guess… I’m really sorry.”
“No, don’t be. It’s fine, we don’t have to pretend it didn’t happen.” I smiled
“You sure?”
“Positive”

Our day went on as normal. It wasn’t any different from any other day but I didn’t feel right about something… something was just eating at my brain and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I’ve kissed all three triplets. Each brother has kissed me… I felt dirty and at one point I even started to cry.

“Um… Edward?” I said with tears in my eyes
“Yeah?”
“I feel like a bad person.”
“What? Why?”
“I’ve kissed both your brothers before… and now I’ve kissed you.”
“God, I knew it was going to be a problem. I’m sorry, don’t cry”
“No, I’m so sorry” I sobbed
“You cry an awful lot, Mary. You think far too much and you need to relax… I didn’t mean to make you feel that way.”
“No, see, Edward it’s not your fault. I wanted you to kiss me. I was so happy in your arms last night. You’re my hero, Eddy and I really do love you… but –.”
“You love Marcel more…”
“Oh God, what am I doing?”
“Mary, calm down. Um… do you like fairy tales?”
“Yeah..?” I said before I wiped my cheek
“Well… sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince.”

Edward got a smile out of me… he always knew how to make me smile.

“It’s fine Mary… I don’t mind it… Harry didn’t care about kissing you even when he knew you were with Marcel… Marcel’s cheated on you. We all make mistakes. Did you really want me to kiss you?”
“I did. I felt guilty about it but I really did want you to kiss me”
“Mary… Don’t think about it.” He said holding me in his strong but gentle arms
“Edward, I just don’t know what I’m doing. I’m in love with Marcel but I can’t get back together with him. Harry says he loves me… but I don’t think it would ever work out between us. And you… you’re my best friend… and I think I’m falling for you. I’m so sorry.”

Edward stayed silent. I would’ve given anything to know what he was thinking about… He opened his mouth to speak but as soon as he did Harry walked through the door.

“Mary, we need to talk.” He said rushing towards me
“I’m having a conversation. Harry, can’t it wait?”
“No. Edward, leave we need privacy.”

I looked at Edward hoping he wouldn’t leave

“Mary, I’ll be back. I need a shower.”

Edward left and once again I was left alone with Harry Styles.