Chapter Thirteen - Hopefully a lie

A few days later Marcel went away on business. He told me he would be back in a few days, but that he’d try to be home as soon as possible. Edward was still at home and nobody knew where Harry went. How could someone so famous just disappear?

Edward came over a few hours after Marcel left

“Mary, I have no idea where Harry is. He’s getting my messages but he won’t reply.”
“Text him, tell him I want to talk to him.”

Edward stared at me

“Now please.” I demanded
“Fine, fine. Calm down.” He smiled

He texted Harry, and went home. So I waited patiently on my front steps.

“What’s going on?” said Harry while walking slowly towards me
“Harry, are you okay, where have you been?”
“I was just… with some mates.” He said
“Oh…”
“Mary, there’s something I have to tell you.”
“What is it?”
“Well, um. While Marcel and I were out at an after party one night… he sort of got with somebody else.”
“You’re lying.”
“I wish I was. And I’m sorry for being the one to tell you but… you deserve to know the truth.”
“I don’t believe you. Marcel wouldn’t do that.”
“Then ask him yourself!” he shouted “Her name’s Ester”
“What?! Do you know who she is?”
“I do…”
“Well!?”
“She’s Marcel’s ex-girlfriend”

I looked down… struggling to believe in Harry’s words

“I’m sorry…”
“Whatever” I said getting up
“No wait, Mary please… sit down I—I really think we should talk.”
“About what, haven’t you said enough?”
“No… I mean… about us”
“Harry, I’m really sorry, there is no ‘us’. I’m in love with your brother. I don’t know why you can’t get that through your head.”
“Alright, just tell me you don’t feel anything at all for me. And I’ll leave you alone”
“Harry, please.” I said pitifully
“Fine…”
“Why can’t you just be happy for me and Marcel?”
“I have no idea…”
“… Did he really cheat on me?” I said almost in tears
“I wish he didn’t. That would be such a shame… to go off with another girl when he has you all to himself…”

I started to cry. Harry hesitated to put his arm around me, but when he did, we sat on the front steps for hours. I cried in his arms while he desperately tried getting me to stop.