Chapter Twenty - The friend I love

A few weeks past, and Niall and Harry were starting to stop by more often… I missed Marcel like crazy. I couldn’t get him out of my head. I heard from Edward that he got back together with Ester. Have I made a mistake? I’ve never been so depressed… so lonely.

“Mary, you home?”

I looked over at the door and saw Marcel poking his head through the door. He looked different… completely different… if it wasn’t for his gentle voice, I would’ve thought it was Harry.

“Mary… can I come in?”

“Sure… what do you want?”

“I… Edward… might have told you that Ester and I were back together…”

“Yeah, he told me yesterday…”

“Is that okay?”

I looked at him and stared curiously. Was he serious?

“Marcel, why are you doing this?”

He shrugged and looked down…

“Do what you want Marcel. You don’t have to tell me anything…”

“No… No…  Mary… I want to... you know… I still love you… a lot.”

“Stop! What’s wrong with you Marcel?!” I yelled “Why would you say that? Are you trying to hurt me, to make me jealous? Are you forgetting that you’re the one who ruined this!? I loved you… I did my part in this relationship… How could you tell me you love me when you’re with someone else? Something’s wrong with you.”

“No, no Mary it isn’t like that.”

“Then explain.”

“I just wanted to know if it bothered you… she’s going to be over a lot and… I didn’t want you to be uncomfortable…”

“I’m fine. You can do what you want. I don’t care anymore.”

“I just want us to be friends…”

I paused for a moment. Remembering that I love him today just as much as I did when I first met him, I didn’t want to lose him…

“Of course Marcel… we can… we can be friends.”

“Alright great!” he smiled

“And… I guess… since we’re friends… I can ask you a slightly personal question…”

“Alright then”

“Why are you dressed like Harry?”

“Um… just trying something new I guess.”

“Oh wow… and what happened to your glasses?”

“Uh, well… Ester got me contacts...”

“Of course…”

I didn’t have to be a genius to know what was going on.

“Well… I’ve got to go. It was nice talking to you again…”

“Okay, I’ll see you around.”

Marcel walked to the door.

“Alright bye babe, love you.”

I looked at him in shock. His eyes were wide open, he pretending like he didn’t say anything and shut the door. I smiled to myself. We weren’t together… and I couldn’t do anything about it… but it was good to know that he still cared about me.

A few hours later Edward came over, we sat at home as usual and watched movies.

“Mary, don’t you ever get tired of being indoors?”

“HA! No. I never do.”

“We should go somewhere? You need some fresh air.”

“Ughh nooo… I like this air.”

“Come on we’re going somewhere.”

“Nooo I don’t waanna… I like it here.”

Edward pulled me off the sofa and onto the floor, dragging me across the living room and towards the door

“No! Edward what are you doing?!” I laughed

“Come on we’re leaving”

I crawled up and reached for the coach, I tried to get back up but Edward wouldn’t allow it.

“Fine. I give up. Where are we going?”

“Let’s go get a coffee.”

“Alright fine. Are we walking?”

“Yeah let’s walk”

“K. Grab my wallet? It’s on the counter.” I said

“Hey what’s this?”

I turned to him. He was holding the box that Marcel left me on the porch a few days ago

“Um… I don’t know. I haven’t opened it yet.”

“Can I?”

“Go for it.”

He opened the box, I watched carefully as he read the note inside it. There was something else he pulled out of the box but I couldn’t tell what it was…