Chapter 20- Part 4

"It's not your fault, Eric. You found out too late, that's all. We couldn't have known; he planned it scarily well. But I'm still sorry; he did torture me but he was your father." 

Eric shakes his head. "I'm not sorry at all. I can't believe my dad is the one that tortured you," Eric says, shaking his head. I turn and begin walking back to Carlisle's. "I had no idea he was like that. But I never knew him," he states. 

"Well you all were right all along; Jacob didn't do that to me. I can't believe I thought he would have. I'm such an idiot." 

I look at Eric and give a small smile. This is the first time I realise the backpack on his back. "Are you leaving?" I ask. 

"Missing home," he shrugs. "I'll come back and visit you, keep in touch." 

I nod. "Sorry about . . . about everything, Eric," I say, not knowing how else to put it. 

"You know how I feel, Renesmee. I know you feel something but it's not the same." 

"Eric-" I say as I stop walking, seeing Carlisle's up ahead. Eric stops too. 

"I saw how you looked at Jacob. You love him, Renesmee. I know that, he's the one for you."

I don't know what to say so I remain quiet, letting him talk. "The thought of him doing that made you angry, I had a feeling all along you still cared for him, and you finding out the truth made your feelings become known again."

"I'm sorry," I say again, having no idea of what else I can say. 

"It's not anything to say sorry over. You're a good friend, Renesmee. I guess I gotta keep looking for the one, right?" 

I smile as I grip him in a tight hug and this time he immediately hugs me back. "Take care of yourself, Eric," I say in his ear. 

"You too, Renesmee." He steps back and looks at me, locking his gaze with mine. "Renesmee, I don't know if you've thought of this, but be careful. Edward killed my dad but the Volturi are still around and they didn't get their way once again."

I nod. "I know."

"Just watch out for yourself, your family." 

"I will," I reply, knowing that he is right. He gives a slight smile as he runs in the opposite direction; he must have left his car away from my house somewhere because he is running in a completely opposite direction to my home. "Thanks for everything," I say aloud to noone, but hoping he wasn't too far to not hear it. 

I run back to Carlisle's, knowing I have been gone almost two hours and the painkillers would have nearly worn off. As I enter the house I'm about to run through the living room but catch Jacob on the couch. "What are you do-" I begin but realise Jake and Emmett are watching football. I walk in front of the couch Jake is sitting on and shake my head. 

"If you're going to make me 'relax' to recover I have to have some T.V or I'll get bored," Jake says as if it is an obvious fact, something I should have realised. He sits up and moves over so I can sit beside him. I cuddle up into Jake's side before he cringes.

"Sorry," I say, the knowledge of his recovering ribs being absent for a split second. Being more careful now I lay beside him as he wraps an arm around me. I hold his hand of the arm that is resting in his lap. 

"Glad to see you two together again, all has worked out!" Emmett says teasingly. 

"Shut up, Emmett," I say. 

"But my god, no offense Jake, but I haven't missed that dog smell." 

"Shut up, Emmett," I repeat.