Chapter 7- Part 4

"How old are you?" Eric says after I shut the door behind us and we begin walking to my home.

"I'm sixteen but only around three and a half in human years."

Eric raises an eyebrow. "How long?"

"What?"

"How long have you been sixteen?"

"Almost a year." 

"You aged quite quick," he answers. 

"How long have you been seventeen?" I ask.

"It took five years for me to reach seventeen, so sixteen years." 

"Wow," I reply. "So how did you know where we lived? Alice said she didn't find anyone like me."

"Alice and her boyfriend, what's his name?"

"Jasper."

"Yeah, Alice and Jasper spoke to some friends of mine in Canada. They told her they didn't know anyone because they didn't know what she wanted, if she was lying and whatnot. So they called me and I wanted to find out for myself."

"I haven't officially met anyone like me before," I say as we walk through the forest. 

"Officially?"

"Well, some helped us years ago when I was only a kid, but I don't remember them and we lost  touch. I've wanted to find someone else the same for a long time."

"How come?"

"Just for someone to relate to, who understands. It would've been great if I met you earlier." 

"You mean before you transitioned?"

"Yes, would've been handy to know about that little surprise, to have met you then, Eric," I say.

"It is quite painful."

"Quite? More like excruiating. I felt like I was going to die." 

"Dizzy, couldn't walk, massive fever?" 

"Plus more."

"Yeah, it was really bad. I was alone when I-"

"What? You were alone when you went through that?!" I ask, completely shocked as I stare at him now with wide eyes. "I couldn't have gone through that alone, no way. You're brave," I say as I take him in. He chuckles and smiles at me, one of those smiles that reach your eyes too, a true, genuine smile. 

"What?" I ask, smiling also. Feeling as if that is the first time I've truly smiled, my own genuine smile, for ages. 

"Brave's not the word for it. I was terrified, I didn't know what was going on." 

We reach my home and I unlock the door, locking it back up after we enter. Ever since last week with Jacob I've asked mum and dad that we keep the doors locked.