Chapter 9- Part 1

Jake's POV~

"She will remember me!" 

"Jake, it's not as if she has lost her memory, son. She just has a- uh- new belief of who you are due to what she experienced. The poor girl."

"She will realise it wasn't real, she has to. It will just take time," I say, determined to make them see that eventually it will be alright. My dad glances at Seth and Paul. Seth looks at me with worry clear in his sympathetic smile which makes me even angrier. "Ugh, you all just don't get it. She loves me, I know she still does, and we will get through this," I say louder than necessary before walking out of the house, slamming the front door behind me. 

I kick the rocks from beneath my feet as I run as far from my house as I can, knowing there is only one place I can go to think and to have some peaceful time to myself. 

~*~*~*~

I reach the edge of the lake, hearing the sound of the waterfall before realising that I made it here without Seth or Paul following me. Finally, I think, picking up pebbles and skipping them along the lake, thoughts and visions of things I want to happen flooding into my head. The sights of the images becoming overwhelming before I have a chance to rethink of another topic or to make them come to a halt. 

I repeatedly throw the pebbles when I overhear someone nearby. I ignore it and repeat to skip the rocks along the water, seeing how simple it is to complete this little task and wishing that life was that easy to control. To be able to decide on what you want to do and do it without worrying of what may or may not happen later. 

"Why?" I mutter to myself as I throw the pebble at full strength. It rapidly hits the water multiple times before hitting the other side of the river, sinking into the water. 

I have no idea who I was trying to convince back there that it will be OK, that she will remember. Was my argument for my father's, Seth's and Paul's benefit, or mine? Am I only trying to justify staying away, a foolish side of me thinking it will all work out, that she will return to me after what they have done? No, I think they have finally put a mark on that family, and ruined my life in the process. 

I hear a crunch of a leaf behind me, but I didn't need to hear it to know Renesmee is watching me safely behind a bush or tree a few metres from me. I turn around to see if I could just get a glimpse but I cannot.

I know exactly where she is, I can smell her, and I have to restrain myself from walking up and embracing her, a natural instinct that I now have to fight to not scare her away... or to not make her want to kill me again. Oh, so close yet so far from where I want to be. 

I sigh, knowing she will not come out unless she is angry and wants to try to finish off what she wanted to do two months ago. I turn away from Renesmee in the bush and throw one more rock, it doesn't skip atall; only sinks as soon as it hits the water. I turn and run out of the clearing, not having an actual idea of where I'm going until I step foot on their front door. 

I pause before ringing the bell, wondering if this is best. I walk back from the door and keep pacing outside of the house.

"What am I doing?" I ask myself aloud. What am I trying to do by coming here? Why even come here? To say . . . what, exactly? I exhale as I walk back to the door. 

I don't think Renesmee and that kid, what's his name, Eric, will be back anytime soon. I take a deep breath, having no idea how this will benefit me in any shape or form, or even what I'm going to say or do when I enter, but I raise my hand to ring the doorbell anyway, hoping that this doesn't end badly.