Chapter 9- Part 4

"Renesmee, calm down," dad says, it only taking a second after my outburst for him to be right in front of me. 

"Get out or I swear I will finish what I started in those woods," I say through gritted teeth, all earlier thoughts and possibilities of why Jacob didn't attack out the door. He is in my territory, this makes him a threat to me, to my family. Jacob stands up and, without saying a word since I walked in, he leaves. "Well, that was easy enough," I say, my annoyance at finding him in my home evident in my tone of voice. 

"Where's Eric?" dad asks, trying to switch the mood I'm presuming but, at this current time, having a topic of Eric is definitely not helping. I look at him, clearly frustrated, as I stand up and storm up to my room. "What did I say?" dad asks, but I ignore him.  

I shut my door behind me, walking towards my window as I stare out into the woods, consumed in thought about Eric. The situation moments ago being rid from my mind due to dad bringing up Eric. What am I to do about that boy, I have absolutely no idea.

I hear a knock on my bedroom door but I ignore it, knowing that it's mum and that'll she'll come in anyway. I turn to find I was correct as mum walks into my room and sits on the side of the bed facing me. She pats a spot next to her but I remain where I am, facing the window and making no effort to move. 

"What's wrong sweetie?"

"It's not what you think it is," I say, knowing that she will think it's about Jacob being here. "Well, of course I'm annoyed about that but that's not it." 

"I'm not saying it is. I mean, what's happened with Eric that we don't know about?" 

I sigh, not surprised. "Dad said something," I say, my voice neutral. "Typical." 

"No, as soon as I saw how quickly you entered the house I shielded you; I knew something was wrong and it's your choice to tell me or not, not your father's. And with your response when your father bought up Eric.... well... it's obvious it has to do with him." 

"It's Eric," I admit. Mum remains silent, waiting for me to go on. "We kissed. We were having fun, we found this cool rope that you can swing off into the lake, some human must've tied it there. Anyway, we were just talking and . . . yeah," I confess. 

"Did he enforce it?"

"Enforce it, mum, you're making it sound like a rule," I sigh as I face her, knowing what she means. I grab the chair from my desk and sit down facing her. "I guess, but I kissed him back." 

"Hmm, how do you feel about him?" 

"He's a great friend, feels like I've known him forever, not just two months." 

"Do you like him more than a friend?"

"No. No, maybe, yes, argh I don't know," I sigh in frustration as I run my fingers through my hair. 

"Maybe your feelings for Jacob are what's making you con-"

"I don't have feelings for Jacob." Mum raises an eyebrow, clearly thinking I said that way to quickly. 

"I don't." I say, shutting down that little idea of hers.

"Well it's clear that Eric likes you, and if you don't know how you feel you cannot lead him on, Resnesmee. It's not right."

"I'm not leading him on, and if I am I don't mean to be. I don't know what to do." I stop talking and think for a minute, think why I would feel this confused, or am I making it up so I don't have to admit how I am really feeling to my mother?

I blow a piece of hair from my face as I say, "Maybe I'm scared, which is making me think I'm confused. I'm scared of getting close to someone like I did with . . . him . . . and getting hurt again, lied to," I say in a rush.

"It's up to you what you want to do with Eric, I cannot choose that for you."

"Bummer," I mutter. Mum gives a slight sympathetic smile. 

"Where's Eric now? Did you say anything afterwards?"

I shake my head as I bite down on my bottom lip. "Renesmee, you have to find him and speak to him, you cannot do that. He put his feelings on the line and-" 

"OK, OK I'm going," I say as I open the window, deciding this is the quicker way as I jump straight out. I call out to mum saying I will be home later before running in the woods back to that lake, hoping to find Eric still there.