Chapter 1- Part 1

“Why are you doing this?” I cry. Alec is holding my arm tightly, making sure I don’t try to escape. We are currently driving somewhere and Alec is with me in the back of the van. The back of a van which has no windows so I can’t even try to guess which country we are now in.

“Be quiet,” he hisses at me with such venom in his words it makes my skin crawl.

I remember the party which was only a day or two ago but seems as if it has been an eternity. I told Jake I wanted to get out of there, away from the party and the fuss of it all, and now all I want most of all is to go back. The irony!

Mum told me to place my presents away, which I did, but I was surprised to see one present upstairs that I was definitely not expecting. Which was a grinning Jane standing right in the middle of the doorway as I tried to exit. Apparently she had other ideas in mind as she knocked me out with something and the next thing I knew I was on a plane, with Alec and Jane right beside me. They have warned me from the start they won’t rethink using their powers on me, that if I try to escape that’s exactly what they’ll do.

The van stops and I begin to panic. So far we have been in two, no three, cars which I have been awake for, two planes (one of which I was still knocked out), and now this van.

“Where are we? Where are you taking me? How much further?” I ask again, for what sounds like the hundredth time. It’s funny really; I keep asking and asking when it is clearly obvious they aren’t going to give me an answer. It’s as stupid as people saying ‘don’t hurt me’ in movies when they are clearly going to be killed. Me, however, I would love to die right now, considering that my captives are the Volturi, and they do not give any sympathy.

‘Be quiet,” Alec repeats, the only two words he has said to me over and over again throughout this entire journey.

The door to the back of the van opens and there is a man who I do not recognise standing there. A gush of wind blows past and I know that the man standing before me is indeed human. The Volturi must have promised him something as most humans that do the Volturi’s bidding are because they want to become immortal.

I look at the man again, taking everything about him in. From the light blond of his hair to the tan of his skin, wondering if I will ever see him again.

“That’s all,” Alec says to the blond man. The man nods and turns his back to us, walking away. 

Alec grabs my arm and starts to drag me towards an entrance to a tunnel. I try to pull away, but every time it appears I have started to get somewhere, Alec just tightens his grip on my arm.

“Why did you take me?” I ask in defeat as we enter the tunnel.

“Be quiet,” he repeats, going back to our same conversation for the past god knows how many hours. Me, asking questions, trying desperately to gain some answers, and then Alec, not saying anything other than ‘be quiet’.

We are deep underground in some sort of tunnel system now; I turn my head around and cannot see the exit behind me, only deeper, darker tunnels for what seem to go on forever.

“Let me go,” I say, never ending to struggle in his tight grip. Sadly, however, he still just tightens his grip until I cannot deal with it anymore. “This will not make my family do as you want,” I hiss. “Take me home,” I demand, not giving up on trying escape, even though I have no idea where I would go.

“You are a long way away from home, Cullen,” he replies, finally saying something else rather than his typical two-word sentence.

“Why are you doing this?” I ask, but as soon as the question leaves my lips the answer comes to mind. “Does Aro honestly think da-Edward and Alice will join him after this? After what you are doing!?” I say, baffled.

I stop struggling but also stop walking. “Keep going,” he demands but I remain firm. He stops and I turn and step on his foot, pulling away and throwing him against the wall. I turn and bolt in the way we came, running through multiple tunnels, trying to find the exit which I should have found by now. They are so many connecting tunnels I feel as if I am going in circles, not knowing which ones I have to walk through to get back.