Chapter 2- Part 3

I raise my eyebrows. See my point? I say in my thoughts, sending them directly to Alec. Alec’s eyes widen in surprise, obviously just finding out about my new power. I laugh in spite of myself.

I hear someone walking, but Aro, Alec and I are all remaining in place, which means someone else is coming to join our little conversation. A man I don’t recognise walks to Aro’s side and whispers something in his ear. Aro nods and then smiles, which leaves me puzzled. Alec is clearly listening in to what the stranger –stranger from my point of view- is saying to Aro. I try to listen but hear muffled voices, my senses not 100% since I haven’t had blood in a while. 

 “Well, lucky you, you’re coming out for a short while, if you try to run, well, I don’t need to explain the consequences to you, do I, Miss Cullen?” Aro says. I don’t reply but just step outside of my, well, room, for no other word comes to mind. Alec remains right by my side, holding onto my arm just above my elbow, tight enough to ensure there is no chance of me making a break for it.

We keep walking until I can actually start to see outside at nearly level windows, we are now closer to ground level then I was in my little den. I wonder why they are taking me up here, they must have an important cause for this turn of events, or they wouldn’t risk taking me out, in case I do try to escape.

“They’re on the phone now,” another person, a woman, says who I don’t recognise.

“Excellent,” Aro says.

“Are you sure you want to allow her to speak to them?” I hear Alec mutter to Aro from beside me, obviously talking about me. But who would want to speak to- The answer hits me immediately and I try to break free from Alec, forgetting about trying to escape and just wanting to get to that damn phone. My attempt at escape caught Alec by surprise and his grip loosened, just enough of me to slip by. I guess he didn’t try as hard as he normally would as there are about twenty vampires in this room, willing to kill me if I try to escape, but all I care about is talking to who I know is on the other end of the phone.

I snatch the phone and place it immediately by my ear; just wanting to hear anyone of my family’s voices on the other end.

“Nessie?”

My eyes begin to tear up; I could recognise that voice even if I hadn’t heard it for years.

“Jake, I miss you all so much,” I say, trying to stop crying to not waste a second of this chance I now have.

“Renesmee are you alright?” Mum asks me and the tears spill from my eyes again. I must be on speaker phone, well, even if I wasn’t they would still be able to hear.

“Mum, I’m so sorry,” I say.

“None of this is your fault.”

“I don’t know what to do, I miss you all so, so much,” I say.

“We promise you won’t be where you are for too much longer Renesmee.”

“I don’t kn- know where I am.”

“We know, we’ll find you,” Jake says, his voice serious. “Are you OK?” he asks, dragging out the ‘OK’ longer than necessary and I know exactly what he is asking me, even though he didn’t actually say it.

“No,” I answer, knowing what he actually meant is if I have had any blood.

“I promise we will find you Nes, no matter what the cost,” Jake says. I see from the corner of my eye Alec tapping his wrist. This blissful moment is getting cut short.

“I have to go, I love y-” the line gets cut due to another one of Aro’s minions switching off the line.