So Long Baby

Lindsey had tried to go to her once and it ended up being an even bigger fight. It was a nightmare. He didn't know what to do. They lived separately after their latest blowup and it was as if she didn't even have that on her radar. She shut it out. She was almost six months pregnant and was more radiant than ever. He noticed changes in her. That is, when he saw her. They had been estranged for weeks and it hurt him. Their beautiful new house was her home, her sanctuary and she treated it as such. It was meticulously kept inside and so very Stevie. Lindsey had hardly moved in when he had chosen to bring them to the brink of divorce the last time he had spoken to her. He would see her out and about, watch her laughing, twirling a newly brunette curl around her finger. She is so different, he thought.

Lindsey couldn't focus at all. Those songs were killing him as much as they had killed Stevie. He leaves the studio, driving around aimlessly. The radio sings the songs of his lost love and he can't stand to listen to those either, flipping from station to station.

Well someone told me yesterday
That when you throw your love away
You act as if you just don't care
You look as if you're going somewhere
But I just can't convince myself
I couldn't live with no one else
And I can only play that part
And sit and nurse my broken heart
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
Now no one's knocked upon my door
For a thousand years or more
All made up and nowhere to go
Welcome to this one man show
Just take a seat they're always free
No surprise, no mystery
In this theater that I call my soul
I always play the starring role
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely
So lonely

FLIP

Everybody's high on consolation
Everybody's trying to tell me what's right for me
My daddy tried to bore me with a sermon
But it's plain to see that they can't comfort me
Sorry Charlie for the imposition
I think I've got it, got the strength to carry on
I need a drink and a quick decision
Now it's up to me, ooh what will

FLIP

Thinking how it used to be
Does she still remember times like these?
To think of us again?
And I do

Tangerine, Tangerine, living reflection from a dream
I was her love, she was my queen, and now a thousand years between

He turns the radio off, frustrated and in tears, pulling over to a gas station and using the pay phone. He calls the house and no one answers. He hangs up, kicking the wall with a pointed toe boot. He crouches to the ground feeling bad for himself. Those stupid songs! We was beginning to resent the album. He paid special attention to Stevie's songs, tweaking them to perfection but she had yet to go in to record her overdubs. He wanted an excuse to see her, but of course that would only make things worse. He would even have John or Mick call for him but it would just ring. The only one who had an in with her was Christine and she wasn't giving anything away.

"All I can say is she's doing well and she's healthy" Christine tells him after some prying.

"Please, Chris, tell me more. She won't talk to me. I call all day long"

"You're driving her crazy. She needs some time to think."

"But how long? It's been weeks!"

"She has every right to feel upset when listening to these songs. You're very talented Lindsey but those lyrics are so harsh"

"I know, but I couldn't write new ones when they were already being worked on"

"I understand both sides. I'm caught in the middle and I frankly don't like it"

"Will you talk to her for me?"

"What shall I say that hasn't been said?"

"Tell her I love her and that baby more than anything"

"She knows that"

"Tell her I'm not going to stop until she talks to me"

"I'm sure she knows that too"

"What can I do to end this? I'm going out of my mind, Chris"

"I know. I wish I could get through to her about you, I do but we both know our Stevie is stubborn"

"Help me out here"

"I think going to her with guns blazing last time was the wrong thing to do. You can't force her to do anything. Then to throw your house key and wedding ring at her...that wasn't a good thing to do either."

"I did get the ring back from her though" He says, raising his left hand.

"You're missing the point" Christine is exasperated, sitting down on the couch in the studio. It was the spot Stevie used to sit and write and it made it hard to continue to look at his blonde bandmate.

"I know it was wrong"

"Very wrong"

"I'm stupid"

"You said it" she says, not able to disagree.

"Promise you will talk to her again."

"I talk to her everyday, Lindsey."

"How does she know to answer your call? She never picks up for me"

"I call at the same time everyday. I shouldn't even be telling you this but it's at 6:30 every night"

"Can I take your spot? I just want her to listen to me. Please"

"Fine, but you better not mess it up"

"I won't, thank you"

"I will be after you, if you do"

"I'm aware" Lindsey thanks Christine again and takes his keys out of his pocket. "I'm going to go home."

"We were going to wrap for the day anyway" she says with a shrug.

"Cool, see you"

"See you, Lindsey and good luck"

"I'll need it" He waves and jogs out to his car, driving back to the hotel room he has been occupying on the other side of town. He unlocks his door, flips on the dim light and sits down on the edge of the bed. He eyes the phone, checking the time on his watch. "5 minutes" he tells himself. He gets up, pacing and watching the hands on his timepiece tick closer to the time Christine would normally call. He sits back down. "Now or never" He takes a deep breath and dials her number.

"Hello? This is Stevie" she says and tears form in his eyes with the sound of her voice.

"Hey, angel. It's me."