Total Accident

NYE 1977/1978;

Lindsey and Stevie wanted to host a party for New Year's Eve, invite all their friends and celebrate. Dress to the nines, Stevie told them in their invitations and that they did. Christine, never one to show a lot of skin wore a revealing slinky silver gown with lots of long silver jewelry and heels. She towered like something celestial above the crowd and she was turning heads left and right. She had no problem finding someone to dance with. John wore a simple suit and Mick was decked out like an English king in silk and velvet. Lindsey decided on an Armani suit, black on black and Stevie wore a long fitted black lace gown, lots of rings and tall black platform boots.

The house was packed full of people, much to Stevie's delight, and drinks flowed endlessly, the conversation flowing just as easily and laughter rang through the house. Mick had already been drinking heavily, leaning onto John as he spoke loudly above the music to anyone who would listen. Stevie was talking to Christine in a quiet corner about the available men and all the attention she's been getting. They can hear Mick from across the room and occasionally roll their eyes.

"He can be so obnoxious" Christine says.

"Apparently he was drinking before he came" Stevie says, rolling her eyes once more.

"Anyway, let's talk about you, married lady!"

"What is there to talk about?"

"Are you kidding? You've been married for almost a year and didn't tell a soul! Tell me everything!"

"What do you want to know?"

"How long had you been together? What was the wedding like? We didn't get invited so tell me!"

Stevie giggles "Okay so how long had we been together? I guess three weeks when he asked me to marry him. He bought me a ring to seal the whole thing then only a couple of days after that we ran away to Vegas and were married by Elvis."

"Wow! That's quite the whirlwind" Christine says with a tipsy chuckle as she sips her drink.

"Yes it was"

"You look so happy"

"I'm very happy. We have been pretty good since we got married. Only a couple of little spats, but nothing we couldn't get over. It's amazing."

"Good, then our next album won't be a mess like this one"

"Yeah, this one was hard but the tour has been good. Tiring but good."

"Are you ready for the next leg?"

"Oh don't remind me!"

"End of June" Christine teases and Stevie covers her ears.

"I'm not listening to you anymore" she says and they giggle. "I need to go check the drink table."

"That's fine, love. I'm going to mingle."

"Enjoy" Stevie says with a wink.

Lindsey catches her eye and give her a little smile. The familiar flutters of her heart still catch her off guard. She's so in love with him. She checks the bottles of wine and other assorted spirits, taking the empties to the kitchen. Mick is laughing loudly, this time leaning on Lindsey, drink sloshing with every swing of his arm.

"The next album is going to be gold, I can feel it" Mick says, slurring.

"Yeah, it's gonna be great. Mick, maybe I should drive you home"

"I'm fine, mate"

"You're not. I'm so happy you came, really I am but you've had a lot to drink" Mick began to be heavy in his arms and he turns to John. "Will you tell Stevie I'm taking Mick back to his place?"

"Sure. Drive safe"

"I will" He takes Mick to the door and helps him into the car. They make the drive to Mick's house and Lindsey glances at his friend every once in a while. He does worry.

"Thanks Lindsey" Mick says. "I'm sorry I ruined your party"

"It's fine. I just want to make sure you get home okay"

"You're a good friend"

"Thanks"

"And you have a great woman in there"

Lindsey smiles. "I definitely do."

"Hey, I'm sorry about Maui. Me and Carol, used to, you know. She's a pretty good lay. I told her we were going to Hawaii...I guess I wasn't thinking."

"Wait...what?"

"She knew where to find you because of me. I didn't know it was going to happen like that, that she'd attack Stevie and the whole fight and...I'm so sorry. It was a total accident"

"I don't think you know what you're saying, Mick. I will help you inside and we can talk another day"

Mick just grunted, half-conscious in the passenger's seat. Lindsey pulled into the driveway, practically carrying Mick into his house. He sat him down on the couch and made sure he was decent before leaving. He got in the car and checked his watch. He had been gone for much longer than he though. He drove back quickly, his mind racing even faster than his car. Did he really confess to not only sleeping with an ex of his, breaking guy code, but for leading Carol right to their door? He wasn't sure how to feel.

He jumped out of the car and was instantly greeted with a kiss from his wife. "I'm sorry I missed the ball drop. John talked to you, right?" He asked

"Yes, honey. Thank you for doing that. You're such a great friend"

"Nah, I just knew he was way over his limit and I  just wanted to make sure he made it home in one piece"

"And your explanation just proves it. I love you." Stevie says, kissing him again.

"I love you too, angel. Where's Christine?"

"I have no idea. Probably dancing with some cute guy"

"The magic of the dress" Lindsey says, gesturing animatedly.

"Yes, some magic" Stevie says, looking over her shoulder and spotting the tall blonde hanging all over some dark haired handsome. "She's having a good time"

He chuckles. "Yes she is. Looks like she will be a straggler."

"I guess so. I've seen quite a few people leave. It's pretty late"

"I can't wait until we can be alone."

"Is that all that's on your mind?"

"Do you have to ask? Look at you in this dress!" She blushes and he kisses her. "Is Chris staying or should I take her home?"

"Something tells me she will have a ride home. I will call her in the morning and make sure she's alright"

"Definitely" They watch the goings on for another moment or two. The party is winding down and Lindsey helps the caterers do some of the clean up. Stevie went upstairs to get ready for bed and as predicted, someone took Christine home- John. Thinking of the events at the party, Stevie shakes her head. What a night! Lindsey eventually joined her, taking off his suit and leaving it in a messy pile on an antique chair in their bedroom. Another shake of the head from Stevie. She was too tired to truly care, she'd deal with it in the morning. They climbed under the covers and Lindsey wrapped her up in his arms. He smoothed her hip as she lay on her side, thinking of trying to start something intimate only to realize she was already asleep. He sighed, but smiled, kissing her shoulder. "I love you so much" he whispers into the darkness. "Happy New Year"