Another Approach

Lindsey was in quite the mess. A live-in girl friend, his one true love ignoring his calls and avoiding him at all costs and an album which is proving to be a disaster to pull together.

"Should I call her again?" He asks himself. "She won't pick up anyway" He throws back the rest of his beer and discards it with the others in the over flowing trash can.

Meanwhile, Stevie is in her bedroom writing. The phone has been ringing off the hook for days and she hasn't once picked up, knowing exactly who it would be. They haven't needed her in the studio so she has been holed up here. To her, it has been bliss. She has written more than she has in a long time and Lindsey has given her more than enough material. Looking at the clock, she realizes she hasn't eaten all day. She goes down stairs and makes herself a cup of tea and a sandwich, taking it right back up the her room. The phone rings again and she gives in.

"Yes Lindsey?" She answers.

"No love, it's Chris."

"Oh, hi Chris. What's up?"

"Hm, not much darling. Not with me anyway. Have you got time to talk?"

"Sure"

"Lindsey isn't right, Stevie. Have you spoken to him?"

"No, and I don't know if I want to"

"I know, I know. I figured I'd try another approach, I know you're the only one who can reach him. He's really reclusive lately. Since you've stopped coming to the studio everyday, he's stopped too. We really can't go on without him. He's stalling production"

"And let me guess, Mick flipped his shit?"

"Bingo. Do us a favor? Call him?"

"Okay."

"That's big of you, after what he's done."

"Don't be too proud of me yet. I could end up making this whole thing go the way of the titanic"

Christine chuckles "I suppose that's true but at least you tried. There is a lot less moping and whining with him gone though. Quite nice, really"

"Moping?"

"Oh you didn't hear? He's broken up with his little slag. He's back on the market but not doing anyone any good with the way he is now"

"I'll talk to him. Bye Chris"

"Bye, Stevie. See you tomorrow for lunch? A little catch up"

"Definitely."

"Lovely. Talk soon" Christine says, hanging up.

Stevie immediately dials Lindsey's number and waits. She hangs up, calling him again. This is their game, it seems. He's done this to her more than once and she hopes it drives him crazy enough to answer. Third time's the charm, he picks up.

"Sweet Jesus, what?!" He says, and Stevie smiles, knowing she got the reaction she wanted.

"I heard a rumor you wanted to talk to me"

"And I've tried probably a hundred times, Stevie"

"Can I come over?" She asks.

Her question sobers him right up and changes his mood completely. "Uh, yeah. You wanna come over? Sure"

"Alright, see you in an hour"

"See you" he says and Stevie is the first one to hang up.

She combs through her wild mane and tosses on clothes, having chosen articles at random. Things were definitely different. His voice sounded odd. She checks her appearance in the mirror.

"Not bad" she says, looking at herself from all angles. She pulls on her tall brown suede boots and heads for her car. She pulls out of her drive way, not really paying attention and is honked at by another car driving down the road. "Sorry" she yells out the window, waving to the other driver. She speeds to his house, though not from urgency. That was always one of Lindsey's complaints- too fast and a little jerky. Reckless? Maybe. She made it to his house in one piece, remembered to put on the parking break, no more mishaps, and knocked on the door. He must have been waiting for her because he opened the door immediately.

"Hey" he says

"Hey. Lindsey, it smells like a brewery in here!"

"Did you come to talk or complain?"

"Please don't be like this. I didn't have to come."

"You're right"

"So what's going on?"

"Nothing."

"That's bullshit and you know it. What's going on with you? Christine said--"

"I knew it. You didn't come because you cared about me, you came to do your buddy a favor"

"That's not true."

"Isn't it? What did she say? That I haven't been to the studio and I'm ruining the album right?"

"No, she said you've been reclusive and she seems to think it has something to do with me."

"It has everything to do with you. You won't come in anymore. Before you'd come just to socialize but since your parts are over, you've hidden yourself away. I liked seeing you." He says honestly.

"If you liked seeing me, why was Carol there all the time?"

"She won't be there anymore so..."

"So...?"

"Will you come back?"

"I'll consider it" she says, a coy smile passing her pouty lips.

"Come on, Stevie."

"I said I'd consider it. Stop drinking so much"

"You first" he spat and her eyes widened.

"Fuck you, Lindsey. I knew you were going to be an asshole."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, come back" he says, chasing her down the hallway. She had turned to leave as she was tired of his constant badgering.

"Why?"

"Because I love you, Stevie. I want you to stay."

"Then stop being mean to me." She says and he has nothing to say. "Alright then I've got my answer"

"Give me another chance"

"Is this the part where you tell me you broke up with Carol? Christine told me that too"

"Will I ever win?"

"No. And that's my line." Stevie says with a smile.

"You're so beautiful"

"Flattery will get you nowhere"

"Fine. I'll dry out and see you tomorrow?"

"I have plans"

"With Christine?"

"With Christine" she confirms.

"When can I see you?"

"You're seeing me right now"

"Give me a break...why do I have to work so hard for it?"

"Because nothing worth having is easily obtained. You know that" She kisses him, stroking his cheek. "I love you, Lindsey. See you tomorrow night, 7 o'clock. Call me" She turns to leave and he wants so badly to chase her but he doesn't.

"Yes!" He says, punching the air with his fist. He's got another date with Stevie and he couldn't be happier. Now he just has to show her what a great guy he can be.