Let The Wind Carry Me

Cruising down the highway, Stevie closes her eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun on her body. Her feet up on the dash, boots off, arm hanging casually out the window. She listens intently to the song playing, wrapping herself up in it as she always does.

Papa's faith is people
Mama she believes in cleaning
Papa's faith is in people
Mama she's always cleaning
Papa brought home the sugar
Mama taught me the deeper meaning
She don't like my kick pleat skirt
She don't like my eyelids painted green
She don't like me staying up late
In my high-heeled shoes
Living for that rock'n'roll dancing scene
Papa says "Leave the girl alone, Mother
She's looking like a movie queen"
Mama thinks she spoiled me
Papa knows somehow he set me free
Mama thinks she spoiled me rotten
She blames herself
But papa he blesses me
It's a rough road to travel
Mama let go now
It's always called for me
Sometimes I get that feeling
And I wanna settle
And raise a child up with somebody
I get that strong longing
And I wanna settle
And raise a child up with somebody
But it passes like the summer
I'm a wild seed again
Let the wind carry me

Tears spring to her eyes out of the blue and she touches the shawl points falling over her almost undetectable bump. She had hoped to have a child but would it ever come, she didn't know. Now that she was beginning her second trimester she knew her dream was becoming a reality. She was so happy with the little life growing inside of her. Lindsey looked at her, smiling. He touched her thigh and she placed a hand over his, exchanging their endless love for each other without words. They weren't necessary.

They came upon his mother's house and they were welcomed in immediately.

"Your father's sister Gertrude is here." Ruth tells them.

"I haven't seen Aunt Gertie in...jeez" Lindsey says, trying to really think back to when the last time was.

"I know. She just showed up." Ruth says, throwing her hands up. There was something in her voice that showed Ruth didn't really like Gertie and upon meeting her, she understood why. Stevie carried her shawl in front of her, exposing her backless leotard and skirt. Gertrude looked at the couple, eyeing them up and down.

"Stevie, this is Gertrude" Ruth says, gesturing toward the small, stone faced woman on the couch. She sat with ankles crossed in a calf length dress, stockings and black shoes, not a stitch of jewelry or makeup in sight. She smelled strongly of a powdery almost dusty perfume, seemingly from another time.

"It's so nice to meet you" Stevie said with a big smile, extending a hand for Gertrude to shake. Gertie just stared up at her with her eyes alone and Stevie lowered her hand.

"So uh, what brings you here?" Lindsey asked, feeling the tension in the air immediately.

"I came to see your mother. What a gift it is that you've come to visit, Lindsey" Gertrude says, though her voice doesn't hint at happiness in the least.

"All the way from Maine?"

"Yes, my dear" She takes a sip of her tea and sits it down on the coffee table before her. Lindsey found the sudden visit strange as she had newly visited since the passing of his father in 1974.

"We have news we wanted to share with you, mom" He tells her and her eyes light up.

"Let's get you two settled then we can chat"

"Perfect"

Ruth leads them down the hall to their room to drop off their bags and make themselves comfortable.

"She doesn't like me" Stevie says, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You don't know that."

"She keeps staring at me and I can tell she's judging me."

"You're being paranoid. Relax, baby. Why don't you write for a while? Clear your head"

"Okay." Stevie gets out her journal and various pages of lyrics she's working on and goes to the kitchen. Gertrude is making a pot of tea, staring over Stevie's shoulder. Stevie moves her pages out of sight and Gertie turns away.

"Morris liked you?" Gertie asks suddenly, startling Stevie.

"Yes and I adored him"

"Ah" she says.

"You uh, you live in Maine? I bet it's beautiful up there."

"My cottage is small but enough. Secluded, remote" she says, still without a smile. Gertrude takes her teacup back to the living room but often makes trips to the kitchen, staring through Stevie as she passes.

Stevie attempts to make light conversation with Gertrude all day long but to no avail. She wouldn't extend a friendly gesture, she would barely speak to her and it was starting to wear on the soft-hearted blonde. Passing by a spare bedroom and Stevie heard Gertrude and Ruth talking about her in hushed tones.

"She really is a sweet girl" Ruth says.

"She's evil, black magic. Her revealing clothes, the wailing, her hard rock and roll lifestyle... have you seen what she writes in those little books of hers? Incantations, spells, hexes...she's after our Lindsey's heart"

"She already has my son's heart. He loves her, I love her and she's a member of this family. She deserves respect."

"Not from me."

"Morris loved you and as his sister I will respect you but you are wrong about Stevie. She is the most kind hearted, sweet, loving girl. You need to get to know her. You're hurting her feelings, I see it in her eyes."

"Don't you worry about her intentions?"

"I've known her since she was a teenager. She's an artist, not a witch and certainly not sent by the devil"

"I am still unconvinced" Gertrude says.

Stevie feels tears welling up in her eyes. She stifles a sob, brushing past Lindsey to go to the room prepared for their stay. She sits on the bed in tears, head in her hands. She wanted so badly to be liked and Gertrude wouldn't give her a chance. She thought about the life growing inside her, created from pure love and it only added to her pain. "You deserve all the love in the world" she whispers.

Sometimes I get that feeling
And I wanna settle
And raise a child up with somebody
I get that strong longing
And I wanna settle
And raise a child up with somebody