Stormy Weather

After Stevie and Lindsey had a little tour of their own going from California to Arizona and back again, they returned home. Mail was piled up at the door as it had been dropped through the slot everyday for a week. Candy perfumed letters came in the mail again and had been for weeks. No return address but the handwriting looked strangely familiar. Lindsey would give the envelopes a glance but threw them away. The perfume was nauseating and it's not like he could write the person back without an address; it was trash.

Sessions began months ago for their new album and neither were too focused just yet. Stevie knew she had to start putting together her demos and get them nailed down so they could start putting the pieces together but this time, something was getting in the way. The moment her belly popped, it was all she cared about. The baby was her entire world and she was more than happy to get lost in it. She would sit in her room for hours, writing letters and poems to her unborn child. She wore a constant smile, delighting in the flutters she felt inside her.

Her flowing black dress disguised her belly well, perfect for a band meeting at the studio. Lindsey praised her appearance, tangling a hand in her hair as he gave her a kiss on the lips. She grabbed her purse, journals and any other things she felt she may need and left with Lindsey.

In the car, they talked about dinner mostly, as Stevie was constantly hungry. He stole little glimpses of her as he drove. She glowed and it was impossible to miss.
Lindsey walked into the the big brick building, holding his wife's little hand. He walked down the hall to find the others gathered. The room erupted with joy when they saw the couple, hugs and kisses on the cheek all around.

"You look beautiful, love! It's been much too long" Chris says, hugging Stevie again.

"Yes it has! I'm ready to work now, I've got a book full of songs and a bag full of tapes"

"That's what I love to hear" Mick said.

"Give me a hug" Stevie urges, pulling him into her.

"You're not mad anymore?" He asks.

She shakes her head. "I'm not really one to hold grudges"

"I'm sorry, I really am. I would hate not having you in my life. You're one of my dearest friends"

"You can't get rid of me that easily" Stevie jokes, smiling.

"How are you feeling? I suspect that stomach bug is long gone" Chris looks at her and Stevie gives her a funny smile.

"I didn't tell you the whole truth" Stevie admits.

"Alright...well, as good a time as any"

Lindsey looked down at her and she smiled up at him. "I'm pregnant. We are expecting a baby in February." Stevie says.

"Oh my gosh! I was right all along!"

"You were. The doctor confirmed it but I was in such shock...I couldn't say a thing."

"February...so you must be?"

"Four and a half months almost five"

"How wonderful!" Christine says. "I'm going to be an auntie!"

"That you are."

"You picked pretty good timing" Mick says. "And I mean that. Tour ended and we're in the studio. You have time to sit down and take it easy if you need to. Congratulations, you two"

"Thanks man" Lindsey says, hugging his friend.

"This kid is going to have the coolest parents" John chimes in.

"Thank you" Stevie hugs John, and he rubs her back. "Anyway, before this thing goes off the rails, let's get started"

"I'd much rather talk about the baby" Mick says. "But I suppose you're right. Funny you're the one focusing everyone"

"She's going to be a mother. Better to start reigning in the children in the band now so she will have plenty of practice in when Baby Buck comes" Christine says, pouring herself a glass of wine.

"So funny, Chris" John says sarcastically.

"Alright, if everyone can be here early Monday that would be fab. Stevie, if you want to work on a couple of your tracks early on, that might help you out, then Lindsey. You guys will most likely be able to leave so you can get home and rest. No need for you to stay here all day if you don't have to"

"I appreciate that" Stevie tells him and he gives her a nod.

"If it's okay with you, since you want to work on helping to produce this record, Lindsey, maybe you could come in alone some days. It's whatever you're comfortable with"

"We will discuss it and think of a schedule."

"Understandable" Mick says. "Christine, anything you want to say? Any schedule you prefer? We are all busy people and I don't want this to end up taking a year or more to put together"

"I'm honestly fine with whatever. I'm not fussy"

They sit around drinking, except Stevie who is sipping her tea and chatting about things off topic. The meeting solved nothing, nothing was decided and overall it left Stevie a little frustrated. She wished she didn't have to be there and hear the awful songs Lindsey had written about her. The demos were finished and there was no way to back out now. Mick as leader, wanted to hear the same track over and over, getting input from each member and Stevie stayed perfectly silent. They were hard to listen to and often she would wince at Lindsey's words. At some point during It's Not That Funny, Stevie needed air. She excused herself not-so-subtly and left the room.

"I can't do this" Stevie said, sensing Lindsey behind her.

"Honey, I'm sorry."

"It hurts" she says, turning to face him. She was crying and it broke his heart.

"I wish I could start over, write different songs but I can't. There's no time"

"I know...but you were so angry, Lindsey. You hated my guts. I can't listen to that and be okay with it"

"Calm down, Stephanie. Breathe." He tells her, pulling her into him. She cried into his shoulder, hearing her occasionally gasp for air. "I love you. We are married, we are expecting a beautiful baby and that's all that matters to me. They're just songs."

"They're not just songs. They're real emotions set to melody. I never hated you like that. You were mean to me, I cried over you but I never felt that way about you. Ever." She sobs, pointing to the room they had just left. "Those lyrics...they rip my heart out"

"We should go home. Deal with it another day. I feel like they took you by surprise and I should have warned you"

Stevie shook her head "I don't think I can go home with you right now. I need to be alone to think"

"Steph, what are you saying?" Lindsey looked like a deer in the headlights.

"I'm saying...I'm saying I think I need a break"