Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Angelina's Point of View:

“Say it again,” Drew said. We were sitting on the couch in the T.V room, cuddling.

“I love you,” I said again, smiling.

“I love you too, girlfriend,” he said and I grinned. I’ll never get tired of hearing that. I still can’t believe this happened. I didn’t think he’ll ever admit anything like that to me. Now that he did, I felt extremely happy.

We were silent for a while, lost in our thoughts. He broke the silence and almost reluctantly said, “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” I replied, looking into his eyes curiously.

He opened and closed his mouth several time, not knowing what to say.

“I-I want to know more about your parents,” he finally said, looking at me intently. I dropped my gaze and felt a pang in my chest.

I remembered Dan’s words when I talked to him a few days ago. He told me to trust his boys and talk to them. I knew I was going to tell them at some point and Drew – my boyfriend – is the one I’d like to tell first.

“Are you sure you want to hear their story? It’s long and sad,” I warned him.

“Yes,” he said firmly and I sighed. I cringed slightly when I thought about how much I was going to cry. I hated crying in front of people but I knew that this story will make me cry. Only the thought of it made me cry.

“Where should I start?” I wondered aloud.

“The beginning,” he offered. After a moment of collecting my thoughts, I started with the painful story that will always remain carved in my heart and memory.

“My parents met in college. They fell in love and when they both graduated, they got married. It was so perfect it was almost surreal. Their wedding was beautiful and both of their families loved them and wanted them to be together. A year after they got married, I was born. My parents used to love me so much. My childhood was every kid’s dream! I remember the beautiful times I spent with my parents when they were happy together.”

I remembered my parents telling me their story over and over again and I would always wish to have a love story like that someday. Now, after all that has happened, I don’t want a story that ends like theirs. I took a deep breath before starting the sad part.

“When I was six, I witnessed their first fight. I heard them screaming so I ran downstairs where they were fighting. I can remember that day like it happened yesterday. My dad was angry and hurt while my mom was screaming angrily at him. I had no idea what was going on at first but when I noticed my mom’s suitcase next to the front door, I understood.”

I had a flashback of that day as I was telling him the story and I wished I hadn’t been that mature back then because I would’ve spared myself some of the pain.

“I’m leaving,” my mom said to my father, her eyes blazing with anger.

She turned her back to us and picked up her brown suitcase that matched the brown summer dress.

“Mommy!” I cried out but for the first time ever, she didn’t turn around nor reply. She kept on walking away from us. “Mommy, don’t leave me! Mommy, please stay!”

She left without looking back and now that I think of it, I wonder how she could walk away from her six year old daughter who was crying and begging her to stay.