Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Angelina's Point of View:

“Hey.” I turned around and saw Lee rubbing his sleepy eyes.

“Hey,” I replied, giving him a small smile. Liam stirred and his eyes opened. He mumbled something incoherent I smiled at him.

One look at their brother and the sad expression was back on their faces. I sighed quietly as I gazed at Drew too.

Come on, I silently begged, wake up.

“What’s that?” Liam asked and I followed his gaze which landed on the bag of food I bought earlier.

“Oh I bought breakfast,” I said as I stood up to get the bag. I handed them a sandwich and a box of orange juice each.

“Thanks,” they said and we all ate our food silently. I barely ate half of my sandwich because I wasn’t hungry. Worry and fear didn’t help.

My gaze snapped to the door when I heard it open. Dr. Parker walked in, a small smile on his face.

“How are you today?” He asked the brothers. They gazed at their brother and back at Dr. Parker with identical sad faces. Dr. Parker nodded slightly and went to check the tubes on Drew’s arms.

“When will he wake up?” Liam asked.

Dr. Parker sighed. “He should’ve been awake by now. If he didn’t wake up by tonight…”

“What will happen if he didn’t?” Lee asked.

“I don’t know,” Dr. Parker said “He might wake up again in a couple of weeks, maybe months. Or he might not…”

I inhaled sharply and tears welled up in my eyes.

He might not wake up.

I won’t be able to see his blue eyes again. I won’t be able to hear him tease me. I won’t be able to watch him frowning at me every time I do something wrong.

My thoughts were cut short when Liam’s hand rested on my shoulder.

“He’ll be okay,” he said softly and wiped my tears away. Only then I noticed that I was crying. I nodded, somehow believing him.

He’s going to wake up, I thought.

“You are going to wake up,” I then whispered to the boy lying on the bed.

We sat in silence; the only sound in the room was his heartbeat. The bags with the twins’ gifts were in the corner of the room along with my purse.

The minutes were passing slowly and Drew was still the same. I had a terrible headache because of all the crying and thinking.

“Angelina, go home, rest for a bit. You look so tired.” Lee tried to convince me but I wasn’t leaving.

“I’ll go tonight, if he didn’t wake up,” I said but somehow I had a feeling that he would wake up. I didn’t get my hopes up though because I don’t want to feel ten times worse if he didn’t wake up.

Lee sighed but he didn’t argue anymore because he knows I’m stubborn and he won’t be able to convince me.

Hours passed and it was now 2:00p.m. The hope I was feeling was slowly decreasing with every passing minute.

“We’re gonna go get lunch,” Liam said and I nodded absentmindedly.

Lee and Liam walked out of the room and I remained in the same position. I didn’t know what I could do to make things better.