Erasing The Past

It had been two days and Sirius still hadn't left Lily's bed side. The healers came and went telling him bits and pieces of information. The wounds had closed, yet Lily wouldn't wake. The healers had no explanation for her unconsciousness. Sirius was sitting beside Lily's bed holding her hand pleading with her to wake up when Remus and James walked into her room.

"Sirius mate you need some sleep and food." pleaded Remus.

"I told you I'm not going any damn where until she wakes up! I will not have her wake up alone!" Sirius spat back.

Remus looked at the floor and shook his head; he had tried everything he knew to get Sirius to give himself a break.

James stood there in awe, he had only thought he had loved Lily, he could see the desperation and pain in Sirius's face that he himself didn't have. James cared a great deal for Lily but he knew right then that what Sirius felt for her was true love. James finally spoke "Sirius, we will stay right here. We wont leave this room, at least apparate to Grimmauld Place, take a shower and have Kreacher make you something to eat. She wont wake up in the hour your gone."

Sirius looked at James in disbelief and yelled "I'm not fucking leaving!"

James put his hands up as a sign he was backing off the subject.

Remus trying to defuse the situation timidly looked to Sirius and said "Ok, well since you won't leave, do you need us to bring you anything?"

Sirius just shook his head and said "You cant bring me what I need."

The three sat there in silence for what seemed like hours. The door opened and Dumbledore walked in looking sadly at Lily. "I assume she has still not woken?"

The word "No" rang out in unison.

Dumbledore shook his head and walked to the window looking out; he was very deep in thought. He sighed, drew his wand and threw a silencing spell around the room. He turned to the three and began with his plan for Lily.

"I have kept a great secret for the three of you for some time now. I kept your secret because it is whats best for the whole. I have even helped you keep your secret of being unregistered animagus, now I'm asking you to trust me and help me keep a secret. Lily has yet to awaken so it will make this easier if you should decide that this is the right choice for her. The four of us will make an unbreakable vow to keep this secret if we proceed with it. Do all of you understand?"

The three looked at each other knowing the consequence of breaking an unbreakable vow is death. Sirius spoke up and asked "What is it we will be keeping a secret?"

Dumbledore nodded his head and continued "Lily has been put through a lot in the past couple of months and I think her sorrow should end now. I have the power to erase and modify some of her memories. Should I do this I will allow her to remember her relationship with Severus and remember their break up but I'll remove all memories of her baby. Please understand that if I do this I will see all her memories, I will see every moment she has spent with you. I will have to modify some moments so the baby isn't brought up. She may see you all a little different when she wakes up but she will never have to remember all that she's lost. She will wake up to a mending heart and three great friends instead of waking up heart broken, no baby and barren. I can't change her physical state but I can change her mental state. I think this is whats best for her. The last thing we need is her trying to run to Severus for comfort."

"So you're going to remove all memories that she was ever pregnant but she will remember all of her moments with us right?" Remus questioned.

Dumbledore gave a sad look and said "Yes for the most part. Some conversations will have to be modified to remove mention of the baby."

"You won't change how she feels about us then? Or how she feels about that bastard?" Sirius asked.

"No, Sirius I will not be changing her feelings toward people. That would be cruel. Severus has made some great mistakes but like it or not he loves her and she loves him. I just feel that removing the memories of the baby will allow her to move forward with life instead of trying to find him." Dumbledore replied.

The four of them sat in silence for a few moments thinking about the consequences of removing Lily's memories. They talked back and forth about the pros and cons of it all. Within the hour they had decided it was best to remove the memories of the baby.

Dumbledore sent them all out. Sirius had started to put up a fight to stay until Dumbledore explained there was no way for her to wake while he was in her mind. He finally conceded to leave. Dumbledore didn't allow them back in for almost two hours, he opened the door and smiled at the three camped outside the door. When they were all back inside Dumbledore explained that all had gone well and she would never remember being pregnant, he also informed them he had sent for Minerva, Slughorn and Madam Pomfrey.

"Why did you send for them?" Sirius asked.

Dumbledore laughed and said "Who do you think was there the day we informed Lily and Severus about the baby? Plus we need someone to perform the unbreakable vow."

It wasn't long until everyone that knew the secret was there. Minerva performed the unbreakable vow for Dumbledore, Sirius, James and Remus. Dumbledore performed the unbreakable vow for Minerva, Slughorn and Madam Pomfrey. Lily's room had been cleared out on the exception of Remus, Sirius and Dumbledore; they all stood looking at her begging her to wake silently.

"SHIT!" Sirius shouted

"What is it Sirius?" Dumbledore asked looking confused and shocked.

"Fucking Snape! He knows and he's not bound! He can tell her everything we took away! He will ruin this!" Sirius stated pacing back and forth.

Dumbledore placed his hand on Sirius's back and said "I have talked to Severus, I assure you he won't be a problem but I plan on telling him what I have done. I trust Severus to stay away from Lily."

Sirius calmed down, he didn't have a choice but to trust Dumbledore. Dumbledore looked sadly at Lily once more and announced he had other business that needed attention, as he walked to the door and started out he looked at Remus and Sirius with a smile flickering on his lips and said "The next full moon after Lily is well I expect the grandest dog bowl in the lot!" He winked and went out the door.