Chapter 42

"Stella, door's for you!" someone hollered from the corridor.

I dragged myself off the couch and trudged to the front door.

Who could possibly be at my door? I assumed it was the bottle drive or a girl scout selling cookies. Because as far as I knew, Billy was still avoiding me, Leah hated my guts, and everyone else seemed to have their pitch forks angled towards me.

"Oh," my brows rose as I stared at Cameron DiMarco standing on my door step. His 6 foot frame rested against the door and he peered over at me warmly.

I blushed. What a shame. Despite all that's been happening, he still managed to arouse those butterflies in my stomach. Of course I looked like a slob, too. My hair was in a dark bun and my penguin PJ's and little froggy slippers didn't make me look any more presentable.

Wait a minute... what is he doing here... at my house? Where Steve did not live?!

"Cameron!" I said in shock, "how did you... ehh."

"Billy gave me your address," he answered, "You weren't at school today. I thought you'd need someone to talk to."

"Yeah," I rubbed my arm, "I guess I just needed a day to pull myself together." I went for a smile, but my lips fell back in a straight line. But he was right, a talk sounded like the best idea in the world right now. I invited him in and apologized for the mess, explaining how my house was filled with babies and teenagers.

"Speaking of which," he responded, sitting further on the couch beside me, "where's Steve?"

Under my bed.

"Uh, he's not available right now," I replied hastily.

He nodded and looking down at my feet, he grinned, "it's funny. Steve also had those frog slippers at Camp. You guys sure do like similar things."

I bit down on my lip, trying desperately to change the subject, "so the dance is this Friday, isn't it?"

He nodded and leaned back in the chair, "yes, actually. And I would like to see you there."

I held on to my sleeves, "I don't know. That's not really my scene right now... considering Leah's the leader of the dance commitee."

He looked sympathetic, "I heard about what happened, between the two of you."

I shrugged. I wasn't surprised at all.

"Well," he continued, "her version of it, anyway."

I sighed, "I'm not really in the position to defend myself right now, so I'll just let you believe whatever she told you about me. I just can't seem to get things right anymore."

Cameron leaned forward in the sofa, his grey eyes eluminating from the open curtains just beside him, "Stella, I came here to apologize. For--"

"For what happened in your truck the other day, I know," I finished off his sentence, "and I know you didn't mean it and you would never cheat on Leah. I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused you both. And I will stay out of your way, you have my word."

His brows rose, "no, that's not what I was going to say at all."

I frowned, "then what were you going to say?"

He got up and sat right next to me, "I'm sorry," he repeated again, "for not realizing sooner how I felt about you. I'm sorry that it took me this long, and that you suffered for my indecision. You don't deserve anything Leah's said to you, Stella."

I was completely lost at words. My heart spoke for me as it sped up again. It was like a bass drum at a marching band. Blood fused through my face and my palms became sweaty.

Who am I kidding? It would take an army to stop me feeling the way I did about him... and that scared me. But no matter how I felt, this was wrong. Perhaps it was easy for Leah to denounce me as her friend. But for me, 10 years of friendship meant something. So could I really throw that away for my heart's temporary desire? Here he was, Cameron DiMarco, finally willing to accept me... and it broke my heart as I shifted away from him.

"I can't," I whispered, "I mean, we can't do this. You can't be here," my voice shook as my words betrayed me, "Leah, she loves you. She'd do anything for you, Cameron. And I can't take that happiness away from her. What kind of person would I be if I did that?"

He was quiet for a while, but he still held his gaze on me. He reached up, his hand grazing my cheek subtly. His touch left a trail of blush and he smiled gently.

"You're a good friend," he replied, "I see those qualities between you and Steve."

Why did he have to keep bringing up Steve?..

"Stella," he continued, "do you still feel the same way about me... as you did a few weeks ago?"

I bit down on my lip, "that's not fair," I answered, "you can't ask me that. I already told you that Leah loves you and--"

"I know how Leah feels," Cameron replied, "now I want to know how you feel. Not her."

I squirmed, "I already told you."

"I need to hear it again."

He was putting me in a very unsteardy position... I had already betrayed Leah once when I kissed him... did she even know about that yet?

I clung to my sleeves, averting eye contact, "well... you know that I really like you, and I've never liked anyone this much before."

He lifted my chin, staring me in the eyes. It was like gazing into the eyes of a perfected piece of art; Michelangelo, perhaps.

"Then it's settled," he grinned, "come to the dance with me, Stella."

I blushed profusely and my face grew red hot. I backed away rapidly, "are you mad?! I can't do that! It's bad enough that Leah hates me, but to show up with her guy..."

He nodded comprehending, "then I'll end it with her."

I raised a brow.

"I know it sounds heartless," he continued, "but I told Steve something once, and I don't know if he told you. But I don't date because I'm in love with the girl. I'll date her to make her happy.. because I know how she feels about me. And it's not until now that I realized that was an extremely selfish notion. But with you, Stella, it's different. I really like you, and I don't know how to prove it... because I've never felt this way before."

"Cameron.." I muttered. I was completely overcome with joy, but also laden with confusion and guilt.

"It's completely up to you," he smiled gently, holding his gaze, "I don't want to ruin anything between you and Leah. So if you don't want us to happen, I completely understand. But just know that I'm leaving Leah no matter your decision. It's not until you get to the core of the fruit that you taste its true sweetness... or in her case, bitterness. It's all up to you."

He pecked a kiss on my cheek, leaving me striving for air. Then he stood to retreat without another word. I watched him escape out the doors and down to his truck, even to the very point of him switching on the ignition and driving down the street.

"Wait!" I yelled after him.

I bolted out the house and chased that truck, in my PJ's and all. The truck stopped and he jumped out the car.

"I'll go," I panted, "to the dance! I'll go with you to the dance."

A huge smile spread across his face. He wrapped me in his arms, "what made you change your mind?"

I looked up at him, allowing my fingers to graze slightly over his defined jaw structure, "because I'm falling for you," I admitted.

He placed a gentle finger on the crevice of my chin, tilting my face towards his, he held me in a kiss.