Chapter 17

I felt claustrophobic, as if the walls were closing in on me.

"God, please let them come back and get me!" I whispered to myself.

Coach Henry was once again busily snoring. The silver key under his pillow taunted me.

Okay, if the other guys don't come back.. atleast Cameron has to, right?

Coach Henry let one rip and I gagged, forcing back the urge to puke. The room was filled with a gaseous odour so vile I could barely breathe.

That's it, I have to get out of here!

I heard a slight tapping on the window in the kicthen. I swallowed, gazed over at coach, then crawled to the kitchen window. Cameron was on the other side looking distraught. There was a lever at the bottom of the window that was twisted tightly to the back. I tried shoving and twisting and pulling but it was impossible to open.

With one yank from outside, Cameron pulled out the window, frame and all. A rushing gust of the sweet night air wooshed towards me. I turned around cautiously. The coach was still sound asleep. He grabbed my underarms and hoisted me out the tiny window, my wig almost fell off and I had a mild heart attack. I landed with a thump on the dirt outside. Gingerly, he placed the window back in, fitting it like a puzzle to the cabin. I stood, just wanting to throw my arms around him in an embrace, but that probably wasn't the best idea if I didn't want him to knock Steve out.

"Thank you so much!" I said, "you have no idea how gross--"

"Yea, yea, save it for later. Let's just get out of here."

"Good mornin' ya little rats!" Coach Henry barked through the bleachers.

"But coach, it's 4 A.M. why are we up so early?!" one boy shouted from the opposite end.

I forced my eyes open, trying to stay awake.

"Now I'm sure y'all know why you're here!" He said in his thick southern accent, "your little annual prank on the coach will end this year! Putting shaving cream in my shoe, sticking forks in my yard and toilet paper on my door! What do y'all think you are, a buncha girly 5 year olds?! Well each and every one of you will PAY! And just so y'all know, he turned to shoot a piercing and wicked glare towards my dorm, I know who you are! Courtesy of Reese MacElvoy."

My whole dorm turned to Reese and Byron Bosniac cracked his knuckles.

"He threatened to take my Miley Cyrus alarm clock, I had to tell him!" he whispered and gulped. He stood to retreat quietly, but Byron yanked him down.

And so, the torture began for the boys of the ambush, including me. Reese wasn't let free either, Byron made sure of that and I felt bad on the nights I would hear him moan, hanging from that never-ending wedgie hook.

Coach Henry had banished us from games and practices for the entire week. Which sucked for our team. 'Cause without Cameron DiMarco and Jason Brent, the Anderson wolves were just a bunch of sissies on the football field.

"Ew, this is so gross!" I almost barfed as I scraped gum and other mysteries off the door of dorm 1B... with my bare hands.

Cameron hammered the door hinge that was almost falling off, "just get it done until coach calms down."

"That's what you've been saying forever. And it's so hot out here!" The merciless heat beat against us and I drooped something brown into the waste bag.

"You guys having fun?" Billy asked as he snickered and strolled over to us.

I muttered something.

"I'll take that as a no."

"You know it's actually not that bad, as much as I love the sport it's nice to watch instead of being on the field for once," Cameron said.

"Yea," I replied, "while you're doing the towel boy's job, Reese is taking yours as the quarterback. The whole team's dying out there."

Billy nodded, "even I could be a better quarterback!"

"I think anyone could," Cameron laughed.

"So are you guys doing this for the whole weekend too?" Billy asked as he grazed a hand over his almost bald head.

I shrugged, "that's the plan."

Like I said, I didn't mind scraping who-knows-what off who-knows-where aslong as Mr. DiMarco here was by my side.

I blushed again as I looked up at him. I bit down on my lip and giggled as butterflies twisted through my stomach.

Billy shot me a warning glare and Cameron just gave me a look.

"I can't, Billy," he said as he stabbed a nail into a wooden door step.

I raised a brow, "yea, I know he shouldn't keep us here on a weekend... especially since it's our own free time, but what are you gonna do? It's not like you can sneak out or anything."

Rephrase that, please don't sneak out! Stay.. with me!

"Actually, that's exactly what i'm gonna do," Cameron grinned, "I can't stay. I got to go to Portland again this weekend."

I grimaced, "I'm sure your mom will understand though. It's just one weekend."

Cameron chuckled and hammered at the nail, "guys, my mom isn't the only reason I keep going."

"Then what is?" Billy and I asked simultaneously.

He grinned and threw the hammer into the tool box, moving on to the next cabin.

I slapped some goo into the waste bag and Billy looked at me, raising a brow.