Chapter 14

The weekend rolled by again, and I was somehow beginning to miss my family. I wondered how everyone was doing in Omaha; Cassidy, Lizzy, Melinda, Jamie, Mylo, Bradley, Kelsey, Anthony, and the babies Emily, Dawson, Tammy and Ronny.

But I couldn't use that as an excuse to be homesick -or family sick in this case- I'd finally just made it on the football team. I guess it would just be another boring weekend.

"Well, time to shower!" I said in a sing-song voice. The room was almost empty except for my pal over there. I cleared my throat and gave Billy a look.

"What?" he looked up at me from his bunk.

"I kinda need to change, so, if you don't mind.."

He sighed, got up, and left the dorm.

The shower room was empty as I'd predicted. Everyone was gone for the weekend.

"I get to shower!" I sang happily. My little froggy flip flops clung to my feet. It really sucked how they had no shower stalls in this place.

Taking my sponge, soap, and shampoo with me and putting everything else aside, I jumped under the hot shower.

"I'm siiiinging in the rain," I sang loudly to myself, letting the water rain through my hair.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming towards the shower area.

I did lock the door... right?

I turned off the faucet and listened closely. Someone was whistling.. and coming closer towards me. I gasped, and my breath got caught in my throat making me almost choke.

"Who's there?!"I screamed out.

The person seemed startled, "ehh..."

I heard them advancing still and I grabbed my towel.. Oh no.. my wig! It was back in the dorm!

"Don't come any closer!" I warned

"Dude, chill out.. is that you, Steve?"

That voice was unmistakable.

Cameron DiMarco.

Wasn't he supposed to be with his mom in Portland right now?!

"Cameron!?" I gasped again

"K, well I gotta take a shower, dude, so I'm.."

"No!" I barked, trying to sound as manly as I could, "you can't come in here. You have to leave, right now!... if you come closer I'll have no choice but to pepper spray you!"

I winced.. why did I say that? Ugh, stupid Steve!

I heard him sigh, "dude, what's you problem, man? You gotta see a therapist." With that, I heard his footsteps retreating.

"Okay, think Stella," I said to myself, "he's probably waiting outside the door.. the only exit to this place!"

I gazed around hastily.

"The vent!"

I kicked the iron net open and squeezed through. The camp was still a ghost town and my long dark locks swung behind me. With my towel wrapped tightly around me, I bolted to dorm 3A. Praying that no one saw me. I peeked in. Only Billy.

Quietly, I dodged into the dorm and slammed the door behind me.

Billy gave me another look, "didn't you just go for a shower? Why are you covered in dirt and cob webs?"

I couldn't mutter an answer. I was still traumitized.

Billy went on, laying back with a magazine in hand, "oh yeah, I forgot to warn you, that Cameron guy went to go take a shower."

My mouth fell open and I snapped. I grabbed the nearest pillow and tossed it his way, "and you couldn't warn me?! UGH, OUT!"

"Fine, fine, yeesh. You girls and your moodiness!" He escaped out the door.

My heart was racing but I quickly got dressed in the baggiest and most boyish clothes I could find. I slipped on the wig, adjusting it in the mirror, and just in the nick of time, Cameron walked in with jeans and a dark hoody. His hair was still wet and his bath slippers squeeked underneath him.

"Dude, you are the weirdest kid ever, man, what's up with you?!" He gave me a nudge.

I swallowed and sighed, "what's up with me? What's up with you? You're supposed to be in Portland.. visiting your mom, remember?"

He picked up his pillow off the floor and grabbed a bag underneath his bed, "yeah, and the plane leaves in an hour. So that's why I kinda had to hurry. And your little freak out there cost me some time."

"Oh," I muttered and cleared my throat, "sorry."

He shrugged, "don't worry 'bout it Steve. But hey, aren't you doing anything for the weekends?"

I shrugged, "Billy and I just stay here. I don't think it's possible for us to be going home every weekend."

"You guys live in Portland, right?" he asked, slinging the drawstring bag over his shoulder.

I nodded stoically.

He grinned and nudged me, almost tipping me off balance, "looks like we just might be neighbours then."

I had a huge grin on my face before he left. My heart racing; possibly from the adrenaline of the shower room incident, or just because of Cameron DiMarco.

I grabbed the phone and dialed Leah. She had to know about him!