Chapter 16

"Welcome back ladies!" Coach Henry announced over the bleachers Monday morning, "today is our game against the Bowness Bulls! It is a home game. But regardless, I want you to have the gameplan in mind. Got it?!"

"Yes sir!" we answered.

The game ended with 21 to 15 for the Bulls. Coach Henry wasn't too happy about that, at all. Especially since we got defeated on our own soil. And for that reason, he decided this whole day would be for practice. But I couldn't be happier, I got to play and even assisted in a touch down!

I helped Reese fill in some cups of gatorade. I did feel a little bad that he got demoted to the water boy again.

"You're back to water boy now?" Jason, one of Cameron's friends and the co-captain, asked as he chugged a styrofoam cup and threw it on the grass.

I shook my head, "just helping out."

"Thanks, Steve," Reese muttered beside me and took a swag of his puffer.

The day went on torturously and I even puked from practicing so hard. Right in front of Cameron.

Well that's attractive. Not like it mattered anyway... since I was hidden behind this facade of Steve Morner.

 ***

"Psst, Steve!" someone jabbed at my side, right before I was about to fall asleep.

I buried my face in my pillow.

"Steve!"

"What? go away," I moaned.

"Some of the guys and I are gonna pull a prank. Do you want in?" it was Cameron's voice.

My head immediatly whipped up.

A prank with Cameron?

Yes please!

I followed him outside.

He snickered, "Are you sure, Steve? Some of the guys want to prank the coach. You don't have to come.."

I shook my head and bit down on my lip, just dazed looking at his face, "I'm in!"

I noticed Jason Brent, Kyle Brawn, Byron Bosniac, and some other guy melt out of the shadows.

"You have to be quiet," Kyle, the one with red hair, whispered, "here, take this."

He handed me a bottle of shaving cream.

"Uh, what am I supposed to do with this?" I asked

"What do you think, smart aleck, spray it in his slippers!" Byron replied, still obviously not fond of me, "and when he gets up, he has a surprise. Meanwhile, I'll go leave him a little treat in the kitchen."

Whatever that means..

"Muahah!" Cameron chuckled and ripped out some saran wrap, "and you can't forget the old plastic wrap on the toilet seat prank."

Jason laughed and shook a box of plastic cutlery, "and guess who's gonna fork his yard?!"

I hesitated, "guys, do you think this is really a good idea? I mean I don't want to get in trouble or anything.."

"Sissy!" Byron accused, "why did you want us to bring this kid along anyway, Cam?"

"Steve, you can go back if you want. I honestly don't want you to get in trouble, man. But it's like a tradition for us guys here at the camp. And it's our turn to prank to coach this year," Cameron said.

"I am not a sissy!" I frowned and marched straight up to Coach Henry's private cabin.

"Wait!" they called after me.

"I'll show them, I know how to cause mishief. Boys who think I'm good for nothing!," I muttered and creaked open the door.

Hm, unlocked?

"Get in, spray the shoes, get out," I whispered to myself. I gulped.

Coach Henry was snoring happily. His grey hair peice on his bedside table almost made me gag.

I shook the bottle and almost had a heart attack when someone opened the door. But it was just Cameron, holding a finger to his mouth as he tiptoed past me to the restroom, followed by Byron.

I sprayed one slipper.

Okay, so why am I doing this again?

My stomach felt queezy. This would not be good. I must've been half asleep when I agreed to this.

"Okay, mission abort," I whispered to myself.

Suddenly, I heard something crash from the kitchen. I gasped and stumbeled backwards out of shock.

The coach whipped his head up, obviously a little dazed and still half asleep.

"Go, go, go! Everyone get outta here!" Cameron sprinted out the door, laughing like a little kid in a candy store.

Byron followed, a little slower since he was a bigger guy, but still followed nonetheless.

Should I go now?!

Then the coach was completely awake.

"BOYS! YOU GET BACK HERE!" He hollered, towards them.

I thought my heart was about to stop as I stayed curled and hidden in the little corner behind his bed.

Somebody get me out of here!

I swallowed. If he couldn't smell my fear, then he could definitely hear my heart about to beat out my chest.

Coach Henry turned on a lamp and stuck his foot in his house slipper, then growled visciously.

I almost stopped breathing at that moment.

He cracked his knuckles and slammed open the doors.

"I smell you!" He barked outside his cabin.

Please, please, please let him walk away!

"I'll getcha tomorrow," he snickered, "I know who y'all are! And i'm keeping this cabin under lock and key! Tomorrow! You'll see! Good fer nothin' vermins!"

I almost fainted.

He stomped back in, locked the doors, and tucked the key under his pillow.

Why me?!